Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How early should we book hotels in Thailand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip is planned for the end of December, 2011. We thought we had a lot of time to book the hotels, and just a few weeks ago there was a plenty of choice. As of today, many hotels that we were interested in, including the Peninsula, are unavilable. Is this usually the case? Shoulde we go ahead and book whatever is still available or things may change?

LeMeridien vs. Sheraton Shukhumvit in Bangkok. Which one to choose?
Is there any hotel comparable to the TwinPalms in Phuket that we should consider. It looks like TwinPalms is no longer available for all the days that we want.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM

December is peak season in Thailand and I would definitely book your hotels now.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM

If your stay goes into 2012 at all, the Peninsula will not accept the reservation because rates are not yet loaded into their system for any 2012 dates. If you want to book the Peninsula right now, you can do it by e-mailing the hotel directly, I'm sure, though there may not be any rates other than rack rates available to you. You could easily wait on that, or you could book your 2011 dates and when 2012 dates are loaded book another reservation for the 2012 dates...rates go up each year, and if you add nights to an existing booking the new rates will apply to all nights. If you make a separate 2nd booking, you might get around the rate increase, or they could be sticklers to the rules and raise the rates of your previous booking, but at least you will have tried....

It really is quite early for bookings, even for peak season, and you will find that many hotels and most booking agents have not loaded rates for 2012 yet. Wait, or contact the hotels directly right now to see what they offer you. You might reserve now if you have your heart set on a place, at whatever rate they give you, then monitor the rates both at the hotel's website and other booking sites, and if rates are offered that are better than what you got, cancel and rebook.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Also, I just had a look at TwinPalms, and there is wide open availability from December 15 - January 15. They do have a 6 night minimum stay for the Christmas/New Year period, so if you were trying to book then for less than 6 nights that might be the trouble. Availability is a non-issue, though, don't worry about that at TwinPalms.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM

Usually get best deals on 5* in Big Cities in Asia

bidding Priceline www.betterbidding.com search "Bangkok"

for me www.amariwatergate.com not long ago $55.

However Dec. holiday season is peak season would book that

pretty quickly

www.asiarooms.com
www.agoda.com
www.booking.com
www.otel.com

good sites to shop for best deals on.

Happy Journey,
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 04:25 AM

We, personally, have already booked our 2-night New Years Eve stay, but we're using Marriott points so wanted to make sure it is secure.

This is peak season, and yes, prices are at their highest. There are people who return to Phuket for the new year, year after year, and they book their next stay a year in advance, just so they are certain to get the room they want. Phuket has many options, so if you cannot get Twin Palms, there are certainly a lot of other places just as nice! Look at Mom Tri's Villa Royale and the Kata Thani Resort. Both are located farther south on Phuket, at/on Kata Beach area.

I cannot imagine that the Pen is already booked. You have probably been given good information that 2012 dates have not yet been loaded into their computer systems. Keep trying. I know that I had to wait for the computer system to catch up before I could book New Years Eve at Hua Hin.

The Peninsula is a fantastic 5* hotel! Just my opinion, but a balcony is nice there, but not a 'necessary' option. Balcony rooms are located in the 'center' of the tall structure and have a slightly limited river visibility because of the slight curve of the building itself. The regular rooms have fantastic views of the Chao Phrya River traffic.

Have you been to BKK before? It's a really fun city to visit at the Christmas/New Year season.

Carol
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 08:51 AM

If you are choosy about where you stay, book now. In beach locations, people often book their favorite place a full year in advance for the Xmas-New Year period.

qw apparently is happy with priceline, but know that what they call 5 star may well be what others call 3 star. The Amari Watergate, which he recommends, I'd say is a 3 star. And of course, you have no idea what hotel you are bidding on when you bid. Priceline often lists hotels as the river area that most people would not consider the river area, so buyer beware.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the useful information.

We actually do not go into 2012. We have to fly back on 1/1, since the kids' classes start on 1/3.

This is our first trip to Thailand, which is why it's a bit unclear how things work there. I will try the Peninsula and TwinPalms, for more nights, as well as the other suggestions. We are not very picky but somewhat picky, since with two kids things become less flexible than they are for a couple alone.
We like to book things early to have more choice and certainty. Thanks again.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:38 PM

With two children, you need to book the Peninsula by contacting them directly rather than online, as their online system does not accept 2 children and 2 adults in one room. If your children are very young, it will be no problem, but if they are older, and I'm not clear on their age cutoff for allowing 2 kids but they define children as 12 and under (but still don't let you book 2 children), the hotel will require you to have two rooms (based on my experience with them). The same is true for most hotels in Thailand...3 people max per room unless there are two very young children.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Kata Thani might be a good option since you will have the children with you. I believe they offer childrens' programs. Also, Kata Thani is a 'complete' resort with several eating options right there. Kata Thani is on KataNoi beach. Much less crowded than, say, Kata. Avoid Patong Beach as it is too hectic and in some areas, sleazy.

Also, since travelling with children, you might like the option of a serviced apartment rather than a hotel room in Bangkok. Lots of options here! Thais love children, and I think you will find hotels/resorts to be very kid-friendly.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Does it make sense to divide 6 days between Phuket (4 nights)and Krabi (2 nights) or you recommend staying at Phuket the whole time and doing Krabi as a day trip?
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Phuket to Krabi by car will take around 1.30 hours. The best beach front in Krabi that's pristine and scenic is Ao Nang, quite beautiful and Krabi town itself has not allowed bars and "girls" to flourish.

The best resorts in Krabi are Ryavadee and Phulay Bay(Ritz Carlton).