Hotels near Shin-osaka

Search

Hotels near Shin-osaka

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels near Shin-osaka

Can anyone suggest any inexpensive hotels/hostels near the JR Shin-osaka station?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM

The area surrounding shin Osaka station is filled with business hotels ranging in price from about 5000 yen on up. You might be able to find something cheaper. You could wander into some of them and see the price. I don't remember any off the top of my head. We stayed in shin Osaka one night years ago, and then never did again as we changed our system and started staying in Osaka at the Hilton instead.

Any reason you want to stay there? There's nothing special there except that the shinkansen station is there, not at Osaka station. Between the two stations is only about 3 minutes by train.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I may be flying into Kansai late in the afternoon, and I need to get to Sasebo, the westernmost tip of Japan. Rather than try and get there that night (which might mean arriving after midnight) or even stopping off in Hakata, I wondered if a night's stay near the JR station would be in order, and getting up early the next day to catch a Hikari going west.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM

If you take the Hikari to Hakata and the Ltd. Express Midori from there, the trip takes under 5 hours with good connections.

Depending on the time you get in, you might just want to go all the way to Sasebo...there is a Hikari leaving shin-Osaka at 7:45 and you get to Sasebo at 12:31 am. What time do you get to Kansai?

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:05 PM

If you are coming from Sydney then I see that the Qantas flight arrives at KIX at about 8:05PM. That would make it too late to catch a shinkansen all the way to Hakata. You might be able to make it to Hiroshima, Kurashiki, or Himeji.

As I suggested on moxie's thread, you could fly into Fukuoka (FUK). It is a quick and cheap subway ride from that airport to Hakata station.

The JAL flights from SYD to FUK, connecting at NRT, would get you to Fukuoka airport at 21:55 only 59 minutes before the last limited express from Hakata to Sasebo.

I see other routings to FUK via Singapore, Bangkok, and other places that arrive FUK at 8AM.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, not so easy to deduce my movements. Presently I am planning the trip for my friends, and so I am working within their limits. When I posted the first message I thought we would be flying into Osaka, because I thought it would be most sensible to fly into the as closest (international) airport as possible. Next thing I know I have to scrub that and change it to Tokyo. But all this information is useful though and I may be able to use it.

In any case, looking for a hotel at midnight with luggage and in a city I don't know isn't my idea of fun. Far better to leave it for daylight and try and get some rest from the long flight.

BTW Mr Wonderful, I'm flying into Japan from Los Angeles with JAL. 17:50 touchdown.