Hotels in Ubud

Search

Hotels in Ubud

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Ubud

We are in the final planning of our trip to Bali in July and there are 4 hotels in the Ubud area which we are interested in. Can anyone give us some positive or negative feedback in regards to any of these hotels?
These are:
Kayumanis Villas
The Chedi Club
Ibah Villas and
The Ubud Hanging Gardens (new hotel)
Thanks to all the Fodorites for providing such a great service!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Just posted on Ibah vs Chedi a few days ago so do a search. I found Ibah fabulous it's a very much smaller property with a very interesting rather magical feel...not anonymous or corporate in any way. The website doesn't do the place justice.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll do the search you mentioned.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Kayumanis Villas is a new and really lovely property. The villas are well designed, secluded and intimate and the view from the public areas overlooking the river valley is superb. I haven't stayed there but I've eaten at their restaurant a couple of times (Thai food for some reason). The atmosphere is really special.

The Chedi Club (not to be confused with the Alila which is the OLD Chedi) is a recent renovation of an older property. The new management is the same group that owns the Legian which I am very fond of, however, I think this venture is a looser. The villas are set in the middle of the rice paddies, a large and open space. It must be enchanting at night under the stars but during the day it is sweltering hot. Maybe in a few years after the vegetation grows. . . but for now being inside the brick villas was like being in a kiln. I give the management high marks for trying -- the decoration is lovely and I'm sure the service is great -- but I didn't want to check in.

I don't thinkg The Ubud Hanging Gardens is due to open July 1 so considering Indonesian timing you may be cutting it a bit close.

I haven't been to Ibah Villas recently.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you marmot for your comments. You are a great adviser! You are right about the Chedi Club since some people confuse it with the old Chedi, now the Alila. The Alila has geen getting some negative reports here lately. The Kayumanis looks very appealing! We were curious about the Hanging Gardens since it will have a funicular, although they sent me via an email that they are on target for opening in July 1, so we will see. Thanks marmot!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:34 PM

jimena, I've also seen those negatives on the Alila and I'm going to be more specific when I recommend it.

No hotel in Indonesia is perfect and the Alila certainly has its warts. The main resort is a series of two storey complexes. All the rooms face the river valley. The upstairs rooms have balconies and the downstair verandas. They are smallish, but nicely designed. In addition to the regular rooms there are also four suites which are individual villas that hang over the gorge. These rooms are really special.

I think some people find the architecture of the Alila off-putting -- it is undeniably quirky. The public areas -- the pool, restaurant, the grounds -- are really lovely, though.

I've stayed at the Chedi/Alila now for ten years. During that time it's gone through several management changes, some better than others. The group that's involved now seems to be responsive and on the ball. I've also tried other places in Ubud but have never found any single place that meets my requirements for serenity, service and natural beauty as well as the Alila.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Marmot, once again thank you for your comments. I just got an offer from the Kayumanis that combines 3 nights at their property in Nusa Dua. Do you know this property? Any feedbacks? I do not know if it is on the beach, we would like to enjoy a few sunsets in Bali.

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to bring this back up so see if I get a few more opinions and/or suggestions.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:26 PM

While your trip may be in progress or over, I will mention for future readers that the Ibah in Ubud is a truly perfect boutique hotel. The staff is lovely, the grounds beautiful, the villas aesthetically pleasing and very comfortable, the swimming pool amazing--and there's an almost spiritual, healing ambiance to the place. Very peaceful and beautiful. Highly highly recommended.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 12:15 AM

Hi,

Has anyone been to the Ubud Hanging Gardens, as it has recently opened?

Thanks,
Ronald