amandari vs begawan?

Sep 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

amandari vs begawan?

I've booked amandari for five days in december, but reading posts by hobbes and others that begawan is a better choice. What is better about begawan vs amandari? I understand that there are four different houses to choose from? Which room, which house? thanks
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Begawan,Amandari, Four Seasons, Alila and Kayamanis are all on the same ridge overlooking the river valley. Same views, similar set-ups -- you really can't go wrong with any of them.
They all have nice restaurants, good food and excellent service. All feature understated, Balinese design with a high level of attention to detail.

The Begawan management was recently taken over by a Singapore management group (the same one that owns Uma in Ubud) in the attempt to attract more mainstream, but still well-heeled, guests (as opposed to the Tom Cruise set). If you're interested, but have concerns I'm sure they'd be willing to give you more information.

The major difference is privacy. At the Aman you get your own villa. At the Begawan you share a "residence" with three other parties. Now, if they're underbooked, which is often the case, you get the whole residence, but I don't know if you can arrange that in advance.

At Begawan, each residence has a fairly large pool. The main pool which is part of the spa entails a lengthy descent down to the river. It's profoundly beautiful, but not easy to get to. The pool at the Aman is spectacular. I think it was one of the first infinity pools in the world and it's still gorgeous.

Begawan is about 20 minutes from the main road, Amandari is 5 minutes. This isn't really an issue unless you plan to take daily excursions to Ubud and the surrounding villages, in which case it will add some travel time. The first time the Begawan road is charming, but after a while it gets annoying.

Not to complicate, but Kayumanis is another new property in the same area that is really spectacular.
http://www.kayumanis.com/kayumanis-villas-ubud.php

If I wanted a villa, Kayumanis would be my choice.

I've been staying at the Alila (formerly the Chedi) for 10 years, suite #103. The Alila gets mixed reviews on this board, but it still gets my vote for best combination of aesthetic, location, food and service within the context of a resort. I'd only consider the suites though. They are actually large rooms with wrap around terraces overlooking the river valley. In the morning you're likely to wake up with a monkey on the veranda.
Sep 25th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I liked the first residence which is I think earth. I found the residence very spacious and cannot imagine feeling a lack of privacy even if it was full which is rarely the case. I also liked the residence called fire. I love Aman properties - we are booked at Amanjiwo next week. But Begawan is something else. Sounds strange but you could cosnider 2 nights Begawan and 2 nights somewhere else - Begawan is a resort holiday, you may not make it to Ubud much and as Marmot says it is not very near.
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Have you considered combining the Begawan with Amankila? That will give you an out-of-this-world taste of the inland and coastal areas of Bali!
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Hobbes - please post a review of Amanjiwo when you return. We are going next July!
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Hobbes, I'm with Ericka, please post a report on Amanjiwo. We are going there in 1 month!
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Will do...there Sunday...cannot wait! Also, staying at a new villa in Bali, Uma Sapna, will post re that too.