hotels in singapore

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

hotels in singapore

Hi,
I am just starting to plan for next years hols.We would like to start in singapore,could anyone advise me on the best location to stay,orchard road or the marina area???,also which are the best hotels???.
Thanks
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:18 AM

Either location is fine. But there's more shopping opportunities along Orchard Road. There are 2 MRT stations servicing the Orchard Road stretch - Orchard Stn. and Somerset Stn.

Marina Area is still accessable to the City Hall MRT stn. through CitiLink - an underground shopping mall (10 min walk).

There are tons of great hotels around. There are the usual international chains. To name a few of the best hotels would be the classic Raffles Hotel (all suite hotel with history), the Shangrila (internationally awarded best hotel in a world many times over)and Fullerton Hotel (an old colonial general post office that was gutted and redid inside).
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:59 AM

There are many, many, wonderful hotels in SIngapore. For me, it's very important to be close to an MRT station since I typically use the MRT for transport in the city. I prefer the Orchard Road area or the area by the Raffles Shopping complex (Raffles Hotesl, the Stamford or the Plaza). I find the marina area less convenient, as it's much more of a walk to the MRT.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:19 PM

If you want to stay in the city, the Westin Stamford, without question. Get a high-floor room, facing south towards the stadium area and the water. I've stayed there 6 times, although, unfortunately, not recently enough for me.

If you want to stay at a resort hotel, then the Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa on Sentosa Island is my all-time favorite. Private lagoon, excellent rooms, great food, far from the crowds but quite accessible. There's a monorail and a bus service that circle the island and stop at an Undersea World (surprisingly not overcommercialized), dancing fountains and a night-time laser show, a walk-through wildlife area with loose (and sometimes moody) monkeys. Whenever I've weekended or had extra downtime in Singapore, I've moved from the Stamford to the Rasa Sentosa to escape the bustle. Either way, you won't be disappointed.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:53 PM

Despite its location not being as convenient as others mentioned here I love the Ritz Carlton. Large rooms, great views and to die for bathrooms! Great lunch time sushi too.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:38 AM

The Stamford is no loner a Westin, but now a Swisshotel. The other tower, the Plaza, is now managed by Raffles. Both are lovely and the location is great.

I guess people feel differently about Sentosa. I can't imagine staying there. If you've not been to Singapore, stay in the city, and visit Sentosa for a day if it sounds attractive to you.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM

The Fullerton is my favorite if you're looking for a nice colonial hotel. I prefer it over Raffles and it's a much better value at something like $200 a night. If you want to spend less than there are pleny of western hotels to choose from.