Hotels in Siem Reap

Search

Hotels in Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Siem Reap

Ok -- hope I am not looking for info that has already been offered -- if so, it is buried so deeply in the forum that I gave up looking for it.

Oh, well! We will be in Siem Reap Dec 25/26, just to visit Angkor Wat. Right now our reservations are at the FCC, but are there other suggestions. P.S. The FCC rates are acceptable to us.

We aren't interested in "glitz" -- just comfort. Since we will be touring with Dara both days, we don't care about "pool time" -- again just clean and comfy rooms.

If anyone has spent time at the FCC, please tell me your impressions.

I agree with CillaTey (on another thread) that we do our own in-depth research, but it is nice to have "personal input" from someone who has "been there; done that."

Looking forward to BKK with a quicky side trip to SR.

McBeanie

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM

You will care about "pool time" since Siem Reap is very, very hot!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM

You might E-mail dara to see if he can get you a better rate at the FCC or wherever you choose to stay. His sister Ponheary got us a great rate at Prince D'Angkor.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM

mcbeanie--have you looked into the Bopha Ankor? Go to: www.bopha-angkor.com

That's where we'll be staying mid-November as part of our trip. It gets some of the most consistently good reviews I've ever read on TripAdvisor and it's quite beautiful for the cost. Restaurant is supposedly one of the best in SR and the rooms are quite charming.

We're hotel snobs and have had friends stay there who won't stay anywhere else in SR now. Hard to beat for as low as $45/night. I suggest looking into a package as there is more bang for the buck there.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Elaine, some people do not care for chlorinated swimming pools so you can't necessarily tell someone they will care about them. ;-)

Some people love a pool and others do not, right?

I had a pool at many of my accomodations in Thailand and also in Siem Reap and I didn't so much as stick my toe in any of them. Maybe mcbeanie feels the same way.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM

I think, but I'm not sure, that the FCC Angkor has a salt water purified pool. I've found that type of pool is very gentle on skin...I have terribly dry irritable skin that improves a lot in salt water pools.

I'm not sure why you are looking for other places to stay unless you are uneasy about the FCC for some reason? It has a fine reputation and gets good reviews.

If you wanted to explore other options, the Shinta Mani is in a similar price range.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM

you will want a pool or a decent shower often if not...

take a look at the sofitel, it is very nice...
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM

i stayed at the fcc last year and loved it. the design is awesome, and the pool was very nice. the food was good. the restaurant is a beautiful space. the rooms are nice. i would definitely go back
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM

There are hotel pools you can pay $5 to use. The Bopha Angkor is a good hotel. I was turned off by some of the reviews which described the complimentary can of RAID in each room. Not sure if it's like that everywhere, but I'd take a chance on another place to find out!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I would expect every hotel in Siem Reap to have a can of RAID in the room.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I have checked the sites for several hotels in SR and the FCC still looks good. Alibi13, it was great to get a "heads up" I also went to the site for the Bopha-Angkor, so I appreciate that recommendation, too.

Eurotraveller, maybe we are in the minority of those who don't place importance on pools. I have stayed in several hotels with great pools -- including the Marriott Spa/Resort BKK -- and pools just "aren't my thing." There were so many other really interesting and exciting places in BKK that I didn't want to miss anything because of a pool. Oh, well! to each his or her own. There are lots of those who enjoy the water, and I do respect that.

Whatever the accommodations, however, I am going to enjoy the countries of SEA.

McBeanie
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Filmwill,
I see the Bopha Ankor is on the east side of the river. Is this a safe and quick walk to the restaurant/bar area at night? How many minutes? Thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM

obersee--i've been told it is less than a 5 minute walk just over the bridge to downtown SR. the area is well-lit so safety would not be a concern of mine.
-bill
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM

I stayued in the Bopha Angkor (www.bopha-angkor.com ) which was very pleasant and had great atmosphere. It was about $45US a night and had a small, but intimate pool area. It was an easy 5 minute walk from the Siem Reap FCC where I had most of my evening meals (despite the Bopha haveing a good restaurant). The food and atmosphere at the FCC was fabulous and very romantic, even though my only travelling companion was my camera! I can't refer to the accmmodation, although I have visited the FCC website (the room look minimalist but very modern and spacious). The rooms at the Bopha were smallish, but very tradional and yet romantic.