Hotels in Madras

Search

Hotels in Madras

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Madras

I will be traveling to Madras, India on business for 2 weeks. It is scheduled for April, but I am waiting to hear of any possible delays.

When traveling for business, I usually have to stay with US-based hotels, since they give the company a corporate discount.

I see there is a Radisson, Sheraton and Hilton within the area...

Has anyone stayed at these properties, or any others they would recommend?
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:35 PM
gac1yahoo

There is LeMeridian and Taj group hotels. Sheraton and Taj hotels are right in the middle of the city, you can take auto to go whereever you want.

LeMeridian is outside the city but close to the airport.

I have dinned in Sheraton and it is a very good one. Hope it helps.

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:13 AM

IMO the best properties in Chennai are the Adyar Park Sheraton or the Taj Coromandel. The Sheraton has one of my favourite restaurants in India called Dakshin - definitely have a meal there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:50 AM

I would recommend the ITC Park Sheraton &Towers, specifically the Executive Club in Towers or any of the rooms in the Towers as opposed to the main hotel. This is a nice hotel, and the Executive Club and Towers rooms are especially nice. I would ask for a high floor to keep out street noise.

ITC Hotel Park Sheraton & Towers
TTK Road Chennai 600018
Phone (91)(44) 24994101
Fax (91)(44) 24997101

(The other Sheraton, the Chola, is not as nice, IMO.)

The Taj Coromandal is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World, which is generally an indication of good quality. I have been in the lobby and two of the restaurants, which I thought were very nice. However, I think generally that Taj hotels (an Indian operator) are just OK, and are not of the same standard as other chains, i.e., the Oberoi.

The Hilton is very new and is a bit outside of town. The Meridien would also be fine, again it is a bit out of town. I don’t really know it, having not been inside since construction was completed.

Some of this may also depend on where you will be meeting. If you are having meetings at your hotel, then pick the hotel you prefer. If you are visiting a factory outside the city, you probably want to be closer to it and therefore the Meridien or the Hilton may work better. FYI, you probably should start referring to the city as Chennai, like everyone else in India does.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I heard another group is going over next month and will be staying at the Sheraton, so if they have a good stay I will probably stay there as well.

My business will probably be at the airport both weeks, so I'll look into LeMeridian also. Thanks for the info!