To India for business

Old Nov 17th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To India for business

This past Spring, I was sent to southern India (Chennai, Salem, Bengaluru, Kochi) and I have to say, it was quite a bit nicer than I assumed (and was told) it was going to be. Our directors are India, so I took their word as "truth" (why not). I packed snack foods galore, toiletries/paper, and electronic charger converters, not knowing.

Now, I do understand that when companies arrange the stays for Americans it's usually better than vacation/economy spots, but I had no idea! In India, we stayed at a hotel chain that would make the Ritz-Carleton look like Motel 6 (no kidding). We stayed at the ITC (later learned it is owned by the Indian Tobacco Company), and no worries, not a smoker to be found.

The hotel itself has quite luxurious rooms, including massage chairs in their "normal" suites. Yes, this place was built for sultans and the sort. The on-site restaurants are the best in local cuisine (even the locals we met, stated so). As far as hotel comfort, I'd return here anytime.

THE PEOPLE!!! Some of the nicest, thoughtful, graceful, beautiful (inside and out) people I've ever encountered. Even on the street, it seems strange, but they look at Americans in a kind of wander - they'll want to follow you, take pictures with you, and want you to take them home with you In the sweetest way.

The food in the hotels was fabulous - even the buffets. I ate what I wanted, sans the fruit and fresh veggies. I had been warned off them, so I abided. Going without ice is hard, but you do get used to it. Brushing your teeth with bottled water is interesting. Although the hotels say they use filtered water for everything, its no telling how often they change the filters.

We didn't have much time to truly experience India, we were there 5 days and travelled to 4 states in that time (business each day), so the time we spent was rushed. We had local drivers taking us everywhere! That's the most fun, ever!

I can only describe the driving in India as chaos. As our driver said "lines and lights are just a suggestion" and he was right! But at no time, did we ever feel as if we were in harms' way - it's just the way it is there! You get used to it, very quickly! Everyone beeps their horn, and goes their merry way!

We will be heading there again this Spring and I feel now that I only need the small overhead bag I usually pack for weekends, now. Leave the snacks and toiletries home - India is not what they show you on TV!
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Thanks for your report. Great that your first trip, though brief and for business, left you wanting more. Totally agree--it is the people who keep me wanting to return!

You don't say WHICH ITC you stayed at. Many of the ITC hotels used to be Sheratons, and you can still use Starwood points at them, i believe. I stayed ITC in Agra and New Delhi.
Hmmm...they are wonderful, but imho it's quite an exaggeration to say they make Ritz-Carleton look like Motel 6!!! Love the ITC toiletries, if they are still using Fiama Di Wills.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

We stayed at the ITC's at Chennai and Bangalore - most definitely best of ANY hotels here. I don't believe these were ever Sheraton's though. Wish I could post pix!
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 06:45 PM

Thank Mamasanh.
If you stayed at the historic Bangalore Windsor hotel, it is now ITC, but used to be Sheraton. (Almost stayed, but decided it was too far from the then-new airport.)
It is not an important point except as a reminder that people with Starwood points (who know that Westin and Sheraton are part of Starwood's brand) can use those points also at ITC hotels
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 10:43 PM

Sounds like you had a great first trip! But don't let the merry horn honking fool you. The accident/death rates on india's roads are astronomical.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 02:13 PM

I'm glad you had a good time but don't forget you had that experience from a seemingly higher profile business point of view.

I agree with Cali that though you had a fine hotel experience that was a bit of hyperbole.

My wife is Indian and we've been there 7 times. I assure you there's quite another side as well.

JM2C.