Hotels in BKK - large group

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 9 visiting Bangkok for the first time this November. I'm currently trying to book rooms for us but am finding this process rather difficult. Do all hotels in Bangkok have 2 people max.? Can anyone recommend hotels in the $100-$150 (tax inclusive) per night rooms for 3 people/room? I would like to stay in the Siam area, near the MBK mall and BTS station but am open to other areas as long as it is safe (ie away from the night-life, seedy areas). Hotels I previously looked at, the Pathumwan Princess and Novotel Siam Square, are out of range at over $200 per night per room. Would it be cheaper to book online or through a travel agent? I'm looking at asiarooms.com and agoda.com - are they reliable? I've read instances where people are stuck with smoking rooms when they requested a non-smoking preference. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Kelly
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM

It strikes me that your large group might be happier in a serviced apartment. There are lots to choose from in Bangkok. You could choose two two-bedroom apartment or some other combination. Hotels do have suites, and often (but not always) you can add a rollaway bed for, say $20. But most hotel rooms are meant for 2 people. If some you your 9 people are small children, different rules apply.

Both of the online booking sites you mention are reliable. Do read the cancellation policy carefully... they mean it. Even if you make reservations directly with a hotel you might be given a smoking rather than a non-smoking room.

The booking site I like best for Thailand is www.sawadee.com They typically quote prices including tax, service, and usually, breakfast. But do read all the fine print. They do list hotels by area.

By the way, I've never found that travel agents could get a better price.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

There will be 9 adults. Sorry, I neglected to mention in the post. Thanks for the quick response. I have looked at Emporium Suites for a 3 bedroom suite - 19,000 baht (~$600 per night). They rooms and spacious area does look lovely though.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Emporium is really lovely, but pricier than many. One of our regular posters like Aldephi Suites. Centerpoint has a number of properties, including one near the river called Centerpoint Silom.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Emporium is much higher in price than most other places. Adelphi has only 1-bedroom apartments and they run just over $100 per night (although I see prices are increasing for the high season). I prefer this apartment hotel, as the location is fantastic for ME (it is near Nana skytrain escalator and also near my friends in Bangkok).

Take a look at the Somerset Suwan Park View apartment building. It is only about a 7 minute walk to the Ploenchit skytrain station OR to the Chitlom skytrain station. It is an easy walk to the Central Chitlom Department store (one of my favorites!). I think a 2-bedroom apartment here would be reasonable. I had a one bedroom and it seems to have been priced at around $100, including breakfast.

Somerset is not located near the nightlife you wish to avoid. It is on a quiet street and close to shopping in the Siam area. Apartments here are very nice in size. They are not fancy (like Emporium) but are very clean, and the breakfast is very nice.

Carol

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM

If you want to spend less then look at the 2 bedroom at the Evergreen Apts. It is located nesr a skytrain station and about a 1km walk to MBK and the Siam area. The apts while nothing fancy are cleam and there is a pool. Around $100 net for a 2 bedroom but breakfast is extra.

http://www.evergreenplaceapartment.com/
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Scotters
I've not heard of this Evergreen apartment building. It looks to be in a fairly good location, near the BTS station. Decor reminds me a bit of the Somerset that I had suggested. I don't suppose they are under the same ownership?? I know there are several Somerset properties, including Omni Tower on soi 4, where I've stayed several times as well. (but to ttvan, I would not suggest Omni)
Carol
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Carol
I am not sure who owns this complex but it has been there awhile. I have not personelly stayed here but have had quite a few clients stay here with family. They were quite happy with it and liked the location. They said it certainly was not lux but the rooms were always clean and just as good as say a Holiday Inn back home. Price and location wise it is hard to beat if you are happy with modest accommodation.

If I remember correctly you stayed at a place in that vacinity up near the Asia hotel
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM

Scotters
Have never stayed in that area, other than staying at Patumwan House, which is along the canal that runs by Jim Thompson house, but at the end of soi 2 (I think JT house is soi 4).

Carol
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM

also take a look at the new marriott courtyard behind the 4 seasons....majestic grande...any of the centre point apartments--silom, wireless, grand....marriott mayfair...
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice! Based on Carol's recommendation, I'm looking at Adelphi Suites. Their price is reasonable and the rooms are nice and large. How close is it to the Nana BTS station is the hotel on the same side of the street as the station? Will we be walking past Nana plaza or surrounding areas that may not be suitable for some? We will be going with my grandmother and wish to avoid uncomfortable situations if possible.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:47 AM

ttvan
Adelphi apartments are not as large as Somerset (but I like Adelphi better).

As far as the walk to the skytrain station, it is just steps away. You do not go anywhere near Nana Plaza to get to the escalator going UP. You do not have to cross any streets either. Extremely handy.

Carol
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Many hotels will have a "roll-a-way" bed that can be used for a child.

Another suggestion is to get cheaper hotels! When you can get a hotel in Bankok that has air, hot water, private toilet/shower starting around $20 per night why not have adults in separate but nearby rooms at lower prices? You could get rooms that are very good even in the $50 range. Many travelers in Bangkok are quite pleased with rooms that cost quite a bit less!

The price range of $100 - $150 is in upper luxury range for Bangkok!

You can try this hotel out, it is cheaper and you could get extra rooms and not bust your budget. Asia Hotel, in a mostly no bar area. Close to shopping on Phetchaburi Road. Best of all it is right on a Skytrain stop! (Click on link far right side.) http://www.asiahotel.co.th/asia_bangkok.htm

List of hotels:
http://bangkok-city.com/hotels/index.html

Good luck.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM

$100-$150 "upper luxury range" LOL You can certainly get a nice room in that price range, but it will not be "upper luxury." For luxury the prices range from about $200 - $350 per room, more right at Xmas to New Years, more for a suite.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:59 AM

"ultra luxury range"? ha ha ha...
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM

A hotel room in the $150 dollar range is in the upper luxury level for most travelers.

Of course you can pay lots more if you want! Remember basic hotels with air, TV, hot water, private toilet/shower, maid service and safety box start around $20!

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:04 AM

This is Fodors not Lonely Planet!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM

We need to remember that there are travelers from around the world in Bangkok. Many of these people are used to few ammenities, as they are not from westernized countries. A bed, private bath, and maybe AC would almost be a luxury.

That said, as a traveler from a westernized country, I like to enjoy a really nice hotel while in Bangkok, without paying the price of a New York or Paris!!

I should say, I USED to enjoy a really nice hotel..... Now, I stay in a very nice apartment for about $110/night while in Bangkok.

$20 will get you a room, AC, shower, TV... I have a friend who pays for this sort of place. He could well afford much more... I've paid about $35/night for room, bath, AC, TV, no pool. Clean, well maintained, good location, but I've moved on.

To each his own.

Carol
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Point well-taken, Carol.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks, Kathie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -