Hotels/Bungalows in Koh Samui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! This site has been so helpful in planning my trip! I read what everyone writes everyday and just wanted to say THANKS!!!!

So I will be in Koh Samui on July 2nd and we are looking for a hotel/bungalow to stay in. I’ve been looking on Sawadee.com and reading tripadvisor reviews. I am 95% sure we want to stay on Lamai beach. Generally, we like to go out to bars at night but during the day, we like to swim and layout on the beach (maybe mix in a few water sports here and there) and mostly relax. I think our top price would be $70/night and obviously anything less than that is better.
The Sand Sea Resort got okay reviews. Has anyone been? Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

If we were to stay at the Crystal Bay Resort, is there a way to get to nightlife (and back) that does not include us driving? If we were to rent a motorbike or car, how much would that cost?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM

Vehicle rentals are very inexpensive. There are also plenty of taxis and tsongtaus (sp)... these are like pick-up trucks with benches in the back. You can always opt to hail one or the other of these, to get you to "town." Prices for taxis and pick-ups are higher on Samui than in Bangkok. There are no taxi meters, so you pay by the ride.

Night life is plentiful in both Chaweng and Lamai. Lamai is probably a little bit more "low budget" but still a good time, according to friends who like to go there.

We rented a car for 4 days for about 4800 baht, all in. The car was delivered to our resort (on Chaweng beach). We made sure we did a complete inspection of the car, looking for dents and dings, before we took the keys. The car rental person had clipboard in hand, making notes. We did not incur any "extra" charges when we turned in the car.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi! If anyone has any suggestions of hotels I would really appreciate it!! Our price range is under $80/night. thanks!!!

We decided against Crystal Bay Resort due to location
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Take a look at Seascape Resort on Chaweng Beach. It's on the southern end with decent beach. You can get bungalows there. I'm pretty sure it would be in your price range.

Carol