hotel recommendations in samui please

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel recommendations in samui please

can anyone please assist with a hotel recommendation

we are travelling with a 10 month old baby.

would like to pay no more than US$180-200/night.

would like something on a nice beach, not right in the centre of chaweng and if possible, something with villa/bungalow accomodation so our baby can sleep in a different area to us

would really appreciate any assistance
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM

What time of year ? rates vary on season so what is 180 one time could be 90 or 360 another.

Are you sure you want a 10 month old is a separate area ? You would probably also want a place with a bathtub too with a babay as many just have showers, anyway tell us time of year so we can tell you what sort of place in that range
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:59 AM

we really liked th peace resort in bophut section...beachfront bungalows are excellent with a small sitting area for the child to sleep in with a day bed.....and there is a tub....nice little porch....but probably less cost than you suggest...
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM

we stayed t Baan Taling Ngam - we got an Internet-only special of less than $200 a night. It's great for children, because each small villa has it's own patio and a huge room (though the one we had didn't have a separate room for the baby). It's on a beach, not on Chaweng which is too busy for a baby - though we went into town a couple of times to eat and shop.

Service is great and the rooms are wonderful.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Bella_Bluebell is on Samui at the moment with a young child at the Rocky so maybe she can input.
Sometimes a place with a large living area is enough. Rachnem I would suggest not having a 'seperate' room as although many infants will just sleep away in a different climate, perhaps with a/c etc you need to keep a more vigilant 'eye on them' , I'm thinking along some room with a separate area but not totaly separate 9 if that makes sense! ).Anyhow let us know the budget.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

the time of year will be early sept, so soon!

and sorry, our baby doesnt have to have her own room, i just mean a slightly seperate area so that we can talk, watch tv, have the lights on etc at night while she is sleeping.

and budget probably around 6000 baht.

thanks.

what do you think of imperial samui?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:40 PM

September is a busy month, 6000 a night though should be more than enough to get a nice place. Although all places will have staff helpful you might tend to go to somewhere that is likely to be a little quieter as opposed to being in a place where there might be more noise.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:55 PM

I read in the other post that you want to go out to I would also tend to go for somewhere that is more larger/resort style as although almost everywhere can arrange baby-sitting a larger resort would perhaps be a tad more organised for baby sitting.

Some reviews for Imperiel but it will probably be over your budget
http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...=beachsiam.com

Another point, note that Samui has a 'surgre peak season' August until mid September, some rates 'collapse' downwards after about the 15th !!

Amari Palm Reef is an example, 8,500 to 15the sept, 4,400 after 16th !!

Amari's are very good in Thailand, local group of hotels and resorts and reliable service, if after 16th then about USD 115 is a bargain, I think they have bath tub too.
http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/samui/amari/details/

Nora beach another option, go for the Ocean Villas for masses of room ! some reviews:
http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...=beachsiam.com

about USD 168 until mid September, 150 afterwards for an Ocean Villa, normal rooms 95-105

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:45 AM

I've stayed at the Amari and at Central Samui Village Resort - both were great. Amari is pretty centrally located in Chaweng but Central Samui Village is further away south of Lamai and is a lot more quiet.

Have you considered staying on Koh Tao? Very beautiful and tranquil. Bungalow accommodation available.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks JamesA. some good suggestions. the amari is the one which seems to be coming up again and again as good for kids. the only negative i can see is that the beach is not so nice in north chaweng, but i guess you cant have everything! esp when you are on a budget. unfortunately we cannot delay our trip until after sept 15th - we werent even meant to be going to thailand, so i guess we have to just make do with peak season prices.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:28 AM

If the only thing putting you off the Amari is the not quite so perfect beach of north Chaweng, but you don't want to stay in the centre of chaweng then I think the north chaweng beach is about the best you will get although south chaweng is nice too. On the Amari website there was a deal for $150 per night for a deluxe room - but you can't get it if you say you want the room for 3 people when you do the room search. so request a room for 2 and just add in the cot request at the end and then you can get it. we are booked to stay there later this month on this deal.

Rocky Resort where we are staying is another option. We are here with a few children amongst our wedding party and the staff is wonderful with each of them. There is a 10 month old baby here too who has been swimming in the pool. The junior beachfront rooms might be good for you as you could sit outside looking over the sea at night. The beach is not great here as it is a little shingly but the kids don't care but I have to say having holidayed with a 10 month old before, the beach is only a good option for a baby is you have a room close by. Otherwise you cart all your stuff down there only to cart it all back again not that much time later as the beach is very exposed for a little one. The sun is very strong here too. Actually the slightly more shingly sand here is easier to wash off Bella than the powder white sand we had in Ko Pha Ngan on Thong Nai Pan Noi beach. Other than the sand, the sea is a little rocky, good for snorkelling but not so great for swimming. The pluses of the beach though are it is completely private and there are no hawkers, v secluded and secure. It is a lovely peaceful place to lie out on. There are two pools for swimming, we love the beachfront one. We are so happy here we may come back and stay again instead of the Amari.
BB
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your advice bella. if i could get that deal at the amari, i would just take it, esp if it is for one of those family rooms. then at least we could chat or watch tv at night freely while our baby is sleeping. but i cannot find that deal on the amari website. was it a special promotion?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:53 AM

rachnem : I wouldn't set your heart on a place if it's early September as it's peak time for Samui so you might get dissapointed! You may have to take what is available.If yuo try any of the Sawadee or R24 sites you 'don't' have to give a credit card to check availability, you can ask for as many as you want, doesn't cost a cent, when they reply with which ones are available they give you a few days to either choose what you want or forget it, so doesn't cost a cent to ask, I would slap in some requests for what you think will suit and see what they come back with, if you want to go straight to the list

http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/samui/hotels or the others that go thru, remember, you don't have to commit, just punch in 5 or 6 which you think are in the price range and see what they come back with.
I would not hold out at this late time for any great specials though, bella can tell us more just how busy Samui is but normaly this time of year is packed!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:40 AM

I got the deal through trying to book a room. If it doesn't come up then it is probably no longer available. It wasn't advertised but it came up as an offer when you put in your dates for an internet room booking. Hope you can find it! BB
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM

rachnem - we visited the amari yesterday as John wanted to check it out. It wasn't for him and we have changed to the Muang Samui also on Chaweng but a bit further down. We are paying 8,200B per night inclusive of taxes and breakfast for a junior room, but it does have a bath in it so thought I would mention it. Another place in Chaweng we looked at which looked to be very peaceful and a bit of an oasis from the madding crowd was the Burirasa but this was fully booked for the days we wanted. Here you can get garden rooms that have a private garden enclosed, with a gate. Thought that might be good for a baby too and give you outside space to sit in at night.

The Amari public areas such as the lobby etc looked lovely but for John the hotel was too big so he has vetoed it for us!

This week in Samui btw EVERYWHERE nice is fully booked. We had hoped to switch our stays in Samui and Ko Tao around (we are off to Ko Tao tomorrow for 4 nights) as some friends and family are still around and we thought it would be nice to spend some more time with them but it is not to be, no room at the inn!

We have also decided to head back to Bangkok 1 or 2 nights early to spend some more time there too
BB
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM

bella---i see the wedding has now taken affect....john has taken over with all matters of decision making....AS IT SHOULD BE.... haha

he can stop peddling for electricity now and its your turn and duty i guess...