Hotel recommendations: HK & Shanghai

Old May 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recommendations: HK & Shanghai

What hotel recommendations does anyone have for HK & Shanghai - 3 or 4 star. Would like to be in Kowloon (tsimshatsui section) in HK and Shanghai - don't know the best location (should we be near The Bund)?
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM

In Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, is the great location that you can access to many places, they are shopping center there. Imperial Hotel is also good choice , start from 627 HKD, it is 3 star hotel, you can check it out from this page : http://www.hotelsguru.com/showhotel-4198.html
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Why do you think you want to be in TST when you are in Hong Kong? That personally is the last place I would choose unless posibly you have a harbour view room and even then you have to deal with more touts and bad restaurants and rip-off shops than you really want to. Do you have a budget for hotels? That is easier for reccos for both cities.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:30 PM

If you want good value business type hotels that dont cost an earth in Shanghai take a look at these 2 chains www.7daysinn.cn or www.homeinns.com They have been set up to cater for the businessmen with free broadband included for your laptop
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:25 AM

where to:

We recently stayed at the Ramada Plaza on Nanjing Lu's pedestrian segment. Very comfortable and pleasant, good concierge staff...we paid about $120+. It's next door to the Royal Meridien (which is about two-three times the rate). We got the rate on the Ramada web pages, about three weeks before our arrival.
stu T.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM

We also stayed at the Ramada Plaza and highly recommend it. Very comfortable and convenient and the service is excellent. the concierge and entire staff were extremely helpful. One of our party left her backpack in a taxi, and the taxi co. found it. The asst hotel manager told her she'd never find the pickup location and sent someone from the hotel to pick it up for her!
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM

We stayed in at the YMCA Salisbury while in HK and it was a great hotel for a budget. It is located in the TST section of HK. We were able to walk to a lot of attractions as well as the Star Ferry. We also had a great view of the harbor which was entertainment in itself and our room was not very expensive. It was the same views the Peninsula Hotel had which is right next door, only for tons cheaper.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:46 PM

If you definitely want to stay in that area, I have stayed at Park, Miramar, Holiday Inn Golden Mile and Prince ( all of which I liked ). However, as Cicerone suggested there are other areas and you should give us an idea of how much you wish to pay. Cicerone lives there and she gives invaluable advice , so I suggest you follow that up.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM

FYI, the Miramar Hotel in TST is currently undergoing renovations.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Don't know what you want to spend or what your requirements are but we just stayed at the Shangri-La Kowloon in HK and also in Shanghai(Pudong). They are both outstanding.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM

I stayed at the Charms hotel, near the Ramada Plaza (mentioned in another posting), close to to Nanjing Lu's pedestrian segment Although very conveniently located, I do not recommend it: the lower floors (up to 16th) are in poor conditions, sometimes even dirty. There are no non-smoking rooms. Breakfast is bad. And the staff is not the most pleasant.
So try to avoid it.

Pierre
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM

You can consider Shanghai Astor House Hotel (161 history old building within 3mins walk to Bund) . Link: www.pujianghotel.com