hotel near airport in Delhi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a clean, moderately priced hotel convenient to the airport in Delhi? We will be there in late November.
Also, I am interested in the overnight train from Delhi to Varanasi but have had problems finding exact information on this. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Amy

I am planning to use the Lemon Tree Hotel Udyog Vihar when I fly into Delhi at night and out to Tamil Nadu in the morning. It was under $100 and is supposed to be about 25 minutes from the airport, which seems to be a reasonable distance in comparison to many other hotels. It got decent TripAdvisor reviews, but I actually booked it 'cause I liked the name, website, and price!

http://www.lemontreehotels.com/gurga...l-profile.html
I'll let you know how it was when I get back.

At the end of my trip my airport hotel is the rather more upscale Trident, but I figure I may need a little spoiling by that point.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Train info:

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/
http://seat61.com/India.htm

On the Indian Railways web site you want the "Trains between important stations" section.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM

I took the overnight Delhi-Varanasi Junction train last month. there is one about 6#0pm and another at 8:40. we took he later one #2562; it arrived about 9 the next morning.

Tickets were 3816Rs for two 1AC sleeper bunks. I had trouble getting India Rail to take my credit card...so had Udavilas hotel get them before we arrived (200Rs service charge). Most hotels will do this.

The station is crazy, of course, so don't get there too early. Find the right platform. after any earlier trains pass through, they will post lists of seat assignments on a bulletin board down near the tracks.

1Ac lists will be at the left, and lower classes go toward the right. We were supposedly in the car 5 -fifth car from the engine- but it was actually car 3.

we had a 4 bunk cabin...my dd and I had the two lower bunks. two phone addicted businessmen had the uppers.

Beds are okay...come with DIY sheets, pillow, and a wool blanket. I had my own sheet, and a sarong that I hung up like a curtain. There were NO announcements for stations, so we set our alarms.

We also took water, snacks, gloves and paper for the toilets, wet wipes,reading lights, a book, and wore comfotable clothes.

be forewarned about the crazy taxi touts at VNS station. Arrange for your hotel to pick you up if possible. Ours stood us up..but that's another story!

If you find a decent, moderately priced airport hotel, let us know. I've shelled out the cash for Raddisson each time.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM

If you're trying to save money 2AC should be fine - pix of both classes at seat61.com. You're more likely to meet families in 2AC, I found 1AC to be mostly businessmen or government types. Are you posting a TR, lcuy? (Pretty please...)
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM

I would also reccomend 2AC- I forgot to told the hotel either class was fine (I was worried as it seem rather full online) and they automatically assumed 1AC was better.

2AC is a lot friendlier and I think the curtains are safer, vs being with strangers in an enclosed cabin.

I am trying to get up for a trip report...Caught whooping cough in India, and am just now feeling human again!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Try Westend Inn - it is near the airport and fairly economical by Delhi standards.

website - www.hotelwestendinn.com
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:45 AM

"Caught whooping cough in India" - wow, lcuy, sorry to hear that! Hope you're better soon.