Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two women will be having a one day stopover in Mumbai in November. We will have all day and flight leaves late at night. We'd like to see at least some of the major sights. Which hotel and area would you recommend? We don't mind a little splurge.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 09:54 PM

The Taj is classy, and in a great location.

https://taj.tajhotels.com/en-in/taj-...palace-mumbai/
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that CaliforniaLady. It does look good. Someone on Fodors commented it was good but difficult to get to/from the airport. What do you think?
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 02:20 PM

We took a taxi, it didn't take that long. However, the driver tried to double the price, but we refused to pay him extra. I would have the Taj arrange airport pick up, even if it costs a little more.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Great idea from CalifLady to have a prebooked airport transfer to hotel. This can be done by hotel or, I suspect, less by a car service. Even Viator, among other web searches, will list these. Or look into perhaps a driver where you'll have both airport pickup and the use of a driver for the day.
Indeed, tis Taj (there are a bunch in Mumbai) is the perfect location, as you want to be in the Colaba or Fort area. Plus, it is part of Mumbai's long history. I was in Mumbai just for a long day--early morning arrival, late night departure--but stopped (not overnight) at Taj Mahal Palace (there's even a big Starbucks there, lol) and wow, next time I would stay there for sure! Beautiful pool area and amazing breakfast spread .Very helpful concierge, who reminded me of the famous 11:00 am lunch box exodus from Victoria RR Station.
Note that the Taj Mahal hotel is about $100/night less to stay in the (newer) Tower wing, and you get the same access to all there is to offer.

Re traffic to/from airport: assume it will be bad and you won't be surprised/disappoibted. Like most big India (or Asian) cities, Mumbai traffic is notoriously bad, even on the "express highway." It took almost an hour between airport and Gate of India (across from Taj). Somewhere I saw the ride from the airport described humorously as something like "one hour, give or take five."
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Another vote for the Taj in Apollo Bandar, and definitely ask the hotel to arrange pick up from the airport. Perhaps they could also arrange a day tour, ask if they could take you to Mani Bhavan, Gandhi's headquarters for 17 years. Shopping can be good in that area, the people at the Taj should be able to guide you.
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 01:25 AM

While the Taj is certainly the best in Mumbai, I'd personally look for something closer to the airport for a one day stopover. If you don't mind the splurge, I'd give the Leela Mumbai a look.
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 05:34 PM

@galactus true that.
If it's just a stopover stay closer to the airport.

The Leela is a lovely property. So is the Hyatt and there is an ITC Maratha near the airport.

You could try the Taj Land's End, much much closer to the airport, still a Taj, and right on the sea in the upmarket Bandra neighbourhood of Mumbai.
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 08:41 PM

Undoubtedly the iconic Taj Mahal Palace & Towers. The location is unbeatable. They have great rooms in both Tower & Palace. But the club rooms in the Palace wing steal the show...takes you back in time... of JRD Tata! Excellent food beautifully presented.
It could also be the Oberois on the Nariman Point, with rooms overlooking the Queen's necklace!! The Oberoi service is perhaps the best in India.
The Four Season's at Worli is another good option and so is the Taj Land's end.
Enjoy your travels!
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM

1)Taj Mahal Palace - Apollo Bunder, Fort, Mumbai, India

2) Trident Nariman Point - Nariman Point, Nariman Point, Mumbai, India

3) Grand Hyatt Mumbai - Off Western Express Highway, Santacruz East, Mumbai, India

4) Hotel Sahara Star - Opposite Domestic Airport, Vile Parle East, Vile Parle, Mumbai, India

- Hotelsyeh
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We ended up at Trident and can not recommend it highly enough.
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 09:37 PM

Thank you broadcaster for returning to let us know where you stayed and recommend. Much appreciated when people follow up.