Hotel in Saigon (HCMC)?

Aug 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in Saigon (HCMC)?

Any suggestions on a hotel in Saigon? We will be staying for only two nights. We would like something that is in good walking proximity to shoppping. We also want a hotel that is clean, well taken care of, etc. Any suggestions?
Aug 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM

You'll have to give us a budget for us to be able to help. Also, search on this board for hotels in HCMC, as you'll see both recommendations and reports.
Aug 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM

The Park Hyatt, Sheraton and Majestic all fit your bill. Anything along Dong Khoi street will be handy to shopping, so you can pick your price.
Aug 8th, 2007, 09:42 AM

The Majestic is renovating their lobby, so you might want to steer clear of that hotel. Park Hyatt/Sheraton will be $200+. As Kathie said, provide a budget and search for more options.
Aug 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM

1, In Pham Ngu Lao St, there is many backpacker hotels, chose one your own. (10USD up)
Elios hotel in that St is also Ok , price around 50USD/R/N.
2, May hotel, they 've just opened for 3 months, price around 50USD for deluxe room, located in Thi Sach St.
3, Metropole - 3* hotel with pool which is suitable for Sai Gon, price around 60-70USD/R/N (deluxe room) - just make sure you don't stay in the 1st floor 'cause it's noisy.
4, Majestic: a deluxe city view room would cost around 140USD/R/N - a good one. Park Hyatt, Duxton, Rex.. There are plenty of hotels that you can chose.

Ask if you need any more information.
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:47 AM

Loverockies - forgive my chipping in but I have the same question.

Experts - I can be more specific. Something at the cheap and cheerful end of the scale. In an ideal world it would be a small family run guesthouse. Rooms can be basic (don't need TV or phone or even a/c). Does one need a/c in HCMC? I prefer a fan and a window.

Can do shared bathroom. Location and vibe is more important to me.

Budget? Have no idea of costs in Vietnam. is it possible to find somewhere at under $20us for a single?

Thanks.
Aug 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM

Yes, you need A/C. It's very hot and the noise from outside will keep you awake if you leave your window open.
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM

What about the Indochine hotel in HCMC? Any good or bad comments about it?
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM

mix reviews on Indochine Hotel on Tripadvisor.com, in good part of town. Next to Indochine Hotel is a nice, clean, spacious and really reasonable Nam Phuong Hotel.
http://www.accessvietnam.net/vietnam...65/ab0065.html
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM

I've only heard good things about the Indochine. Next door is the best Thai restaurant in town.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM

Bisbee - thx - but just checking. I mean really hot is subjective. Would you say HCMC is on a par with Bangkok or Mombasa where I agree, you do need a/c. I don't mind street noise.

Funnetbabe - have checked the link you gave, and the price is "up to $85US". That's all the info it gives, and that's WAY outside my budget.

Have you stayed there? Maybe they have much much cheaper rooms?

Thx
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:09 AM

chimani,

Yes you need AC. Check the weather stats--HCMC is v comparable to Bangkok. As for street noise, it is not occasional or muted. It's unbelievable, ear-piercing and an issue w/ any low-level room facing a street, even w/ closed windows and AC.

People ride their motorbikes thru the absolute narrowest alleys, and lay on their horns for any reason. You'll hear horns and engines revving (seemingly w/o mufflers) from v early til v late. The issue is amplified on larger streets such as those w/ hotels.

With your budget, you'll find lots of rooms, clean and w/ AC and hot water, on Pham Ngu Lao Street, which is the backpacker district. Not familiar w/ specific hotels here as it's been a while.
Aug 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM

HCMC is cooler than BKK, but you still want A/C. Street noise is too much for me, but maybe you won't care. I wouldn't stay in PNL. It's not called the backpacker ghetto for nothing.
Aug 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Bisbee - your comment

"it's not called the backpackers ghetto for nothing" is interesting.

What makes you say that? Have you got something against backpackers? Do you think perhaps thagt
Aug 28th, 2007, 01:41 AM

What makes my comment interesting? I didn't give PNL that name. It's mentioned many times on other websites. I have nothing against backpackers. How about you? Given the choice, I would never stay in PNL. The constant hassle from vendors is relentless and the area is one of the most likely places in HCMC of having your bag stolen from you. Dong Khoi area is much nicer, IMHO.
Aug 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
JP

In Nov '05 we stayed at the HongHoa Hotel on Pham Ngu Lao Street (http://www.honghoavn.com). It was $16 for the 2 of us at the time. It was clean, quiet, had good A/C (very hot with intense sun outside) and free internet access. Yes, it's in the backpacker district, but that was fine with us (including my 80 year old mother). Lots of affordable (and good) restaurants, and SinhCafe just next door for tours and transportation (we left Saigon on a Mekong tour on the way to Cambodia).
Sep 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Naturally the Caravelle.
Sep 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM
WSL

Commenting on the post of 09.28.07: The Caravelle is old and tired, trading on its name and reputation from its glory days. I prefer the Sheraton. Others have given the Park Kyatt excellent reviews. This is assuming that you are seeking a top tier hotl in Saigon.
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:30 AM

Actually historic ... possibly why it attracts attention. I'll post a note or two about it when we return. Hopefully it's not over the hill quite yet.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM

Hi, JP.

re the HongHoa - did you just walk in off the street, or book in advance using the link you gave?

It would suit me just fine, but I can't do with a windowless room.

If I booked on line for a room with a balcony, what do you think my chances of getting same are?

I will be arriving late (2030 at the airport so assume 2230 by the time I get to wherever I am going to sleep).

Thx for any feedback you can give.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO