Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel has requested cash paymnent upon arrival!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reserved a room at Arun on the River, not the Arun Residence. they are very nice, but they have requested payment in full in cash upon arrival! I have traveled quite a bit and have paid in cash upon checkout and that's not a problem, but upon check in, I don't think so. I've told them so and expect they will be fine with cash payment upon checkout, will see what they say. Has anyone encountered this before. I'm not comfortable with this at all, what if I don't like the place or service is poor, then I've already paid!
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM

I would be very wary of parting with any cash upon arrival. Occasionally w, wehen booking in advance, I have been asked for 1 night's deposit but never payment in full. If they insist, I would be inclined to stay somewhere else. Arun is a small hotel and probaly locally owned-could they be experiencing cashflow problems?
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM

Do you mean Aurum the River Place? Anyway, doesn't really matter. I've never been asked for cash payment at check in before...but I have heard of some places in Bali doing this. I wouldn't be comfortable paying in full up front before even staying a night...what if there is a problem? Even low budget places only ask you pay one night at a time in the morning if you will stay that night. If Aurum, or wherever, isn't happy to have you pay on check out then I totally agree with crellston...find another place.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I've had this happen at places in Singapore that didn't take Amex or the equivalent. The standard practice of giving the hotel your credit card on check-in is the same as paying up-front, without the risks. It has always been a sign of a place that was sub-standard in all respects, although I'm surprised about the Arun Residence.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM

I've never heard of having to pay cash up front in decent places. I wouldn't do it and if they insist I would look elsewhere.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, it's definitely Aurun The River Place. They say it is their policy. I told them I would pay first night in cash if I was able to get currency at airport, they said fine but then it was their policy to be paid once I decided to stay the remaining nights? That also seems strange, am I not going to like this place? Looks nice and have heard nice things about it except that it's dark and dead in that part of town at night! here is website http://www.aurum-bangkok.com/ My husband wants to stay by the river, Arun Residence is under remodel that week, so we may check this out and if we don't like then may have to move. I hate doing that as we have so much to do already with going to Lao Embassy to get visa the following afternoon.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM

If you book with an hotel agent such as Sawadee, they would have requested a deposit on confirmation and in most cases the balance owing 2 weeks prior to your arrival. So this is really no different than paying on check-in. In some cases to get the best rate from some providers you have to prepay at time of confirmation. By the way booking direct with this hotel gets you the best rate.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

good point. thanks