Hong Kong - YMCA Salisbury Hotel

May 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hong Kong - YMCA Salisbury Hotel

I'm in the midst of planning a 4 week trip to the region, but all we have officially planned is our flight NYC-Tokyo on Aug 1 and HKG-NYC on Aug 30. I think we'll be spending 3 days in Hong Kong (at the end of course), but we're not sure yet and were planning on putting off any additional planning until mid-June due to moving, grad school exams, etc. (if it's a mistake to wait to book hotels and intra-region flights, please let me know!!!) I think we want to stay at the YMCA Salisbury hotel in Hong Kong - I've read posts on here from people raving about it. We're not interested in staying at completely cheap hotels, but we also dont plan to be spending $200/night so this seems like a great option. Do we need to book this right now, especially to get a room with a harbor view? I'm just hesitant in case we end up spending 4 days instead of 3 and then our room is booked for that extra day, or we only want to spend 2 days, etc. Thanks!

PS. any additional hotel info or recs in this range for other places (including Tokyo, Seoul, Bangkok, Siem Reap, Kuala Lumpur) would be greatly appreciated!
May 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM

The YMCA Salisbury is very popular and with good reason. The Harbor view rooms are especially popular. I'd book just as soon as you have firm dates.
May 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM

YMCA Salisbury Hotel in Hongkong has exceptionally good value, located right next to the Pennisula Hotel & Kowloon Hotel. Star Ferry, the Star walk promenade and Nathan Road are within walking distance.
Below are a few hotels I stayed in the past.
Except those two in Siem Reap, Cambodia, they are all pretty good value hotels in Asia.
Always check if they have promotions.
Sofitel Ambassador Hotel in city center or Riviera Hotel in Gangnam, Seoul.
Royal Orchid Sheraton by the River or Amari Watergate hotel at City center.
Raffles Grand Hotel d`Angkor or Hotel De La Paix, Siem Reap.
Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku or Prince Takanawa Hotel in Shinagawa, Tokyo.
Hotel Istana in Bukit Bintang or Park Royal Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.
May 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM

The Harbor view rooms in YMCA Salisbury Hotel would also be able to see the laser show on Victoria Harbor, Hongkong.
The show's fascinating, starts every night at 8 for half an hour.
May 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM

ireviewed this hotel a couple of years ago on tripadvisor (kawh) we LOVED it. i wouldn't take any chances. however, i just did a quick check at a reservations site and it seems like the price has REALLY gone up...
kawh
May 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I'm in china now. Incredible! We stayed at jia in hong kong for $140 use per night special price. Much better location than kowloon. Kowloon side ugly, good view but not nice neighborhood.

Very humid but wonderful.
May 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM

We stayed at the Salisbury a couple of years ago and agree with the posters that say it is a great location. We had booked a Harbour view room & they upraded us to a Harbour view suite. It was a great view of the light show at night. If you get the train from the airport & then the free bus that stops at various hotels you get dropped right across the road & then going back to the airport it you can get the bus to the train at the same spot. Very easy. I would book I can't remember what their cancellation policy is but take a look at that, it may ease your mind about booking. The Harbour view rooms will fill up quickly I am sure. Happy travels. J
May 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I agree, Salisbury is a good choice! Good location and best price. I frequent HKG and I always stay at Salisbury when in Kowloon. Request for the Harbour view rooms (not the "PARTIAL VIEW ROOM"), magnificent sight of Hong Kong Island and lights-laser show at night! Also, very much accessible to Nathan Road (they call it "The Golden Mile") and Canton Road for retail therapy

In Seoul, Hamilton Hotel has a nice location