Hong Kong to Xi'an

Search

Hong Kong to Xi'an

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong to Xi'an

We are leaving next week for Hong Kong. After 5 days in Hong Kong we will be heading to Xi'an. We have not booked any transportation to Xi'an as of yet. Can anyone recommend an airline to fly us there? We have two nights in Xi'an before we head off to Beijing.
We are planning on taking the overnight train to Beijing if we can book a deluxe soft sleeper. If not we will fly. We plan on booking our train tickets at the train station once we get to Hong Kong. We are staying at Langham Place in Mong Kok. Is this reasonble?
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Don't think you can get the train tickets between Xian and Beijing easily or cheaply in Hong Kong. You can just wait until you get to Xian to get them.

Only Dragonair (KA) and China Eastern (MU) flies HKG-XIY, each once a day. I will recommend KA over MU. Or you can go up to Shenzhen (SZX) and there are lots of cheaper flights to XIY. Doesn't matter which airline you choose.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your quick reply

If we wait until we get to Xian to buy the tickets how likely is it that we will be able to get the deluxe soft sleepers? Are we better off just flying from Xian to Beijing? I really wanted to try the train but I am not great about sharing a sleeper with strangers.
How do we get to Shenzen? Also can we book the flights in Hong Kong and if so where should we go? Or should we book them online now? When we were in India we were able to book last minute at the airport very cheaply is this a good idea or is it too risky (no seats and expensive)?
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM

You should book the flights when you reach Xi'an. First look at the train situation, and then if that doesn't work out, book the flights. The chances of not being able to board a flight are very small indeed. The chances of paying more than you need to by not waiting to book with a local agent are nearly 100%.

As a fudge you can book with one of the better-known Chinese on-line agents (ctrip, elong) which may not cost you too much more, but you may encounter little tricks like later adding in the ¥50 departure tax which is actually included in the ticket price, difficulties with paying by overseas credit card, and problems with refunds if needed.

Peter N-H
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM

You can get from Hong Kong to SZX a number of ways. The easiest is to take a direct bus that uses the Shenzhen Bay crossing. I've written many posts about them. Departure points are the Elements Mall in Kowloon (Kowloon Airport Express/MTR station), Kowloon Tong MTR (with some departures also picking up at Prince Edward MTR in Mongkok), and a new service from the Wharney Hotel in Wan Chai on HK Island.

You can book flights from SZX to Xian from most travel agents in Hong Kong. Ctrip is also fine.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I will book the flight or train in Xian. I assume most local Xian agents are pretty good.

I will also book with a travel agent in Hong Kong and fly out out of Shenzhen. Sounds easy to get there from Mong Kok.
Thank you both again
Alison