Hong Kong this summer

Nov 13th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Loretta

Hong Kong this summer

I am planning on going to Hong Kong this summer for all of June, and July to study at the University of Hong Kong and work in a law firm. I am also planning on bringing my two children, 6 and 9. Unfortunately, I have to arrange my own housing and figure out what to do with the kids while I am at school/work. Where should I stay (area)? Are there camps I can put the kids into? What do the children do in the summer in Hong Kong? I would like maximum exposure to the culture for my children and for them to enjoy the stay.
Thank you. Loretta

Nov 14th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Louis

I believe Univ of HK (main campus) is still located at Mid Level of the western part of the island of Hong Kong. You need to find out where the law firm is located (island of HK or Kowloon or ?) before you can decide where to stay. It will be a shocker for anyone from the States to find out how expensive housings are in HK.

The government of HK maintains an excellent web site <discoverhongkong.com/usa> However, I don't know how much information it has that's applicale to your questions. Just have to check it out.

Probably your best bet would be through local help at the law office or Univ. of HK that you are going to find your apt. in HK

Sorry, can't help you with any information for your 2 kids.

Good luck

Nov 14th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Louis

I just found the web site of Univ of HK at <hku.hk>. There is information on accomodation for visitors.

Nov 14th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Mel

YMCA in Hong Kong used to organise summer youth camps for kids at their Tsim Sha Tsui complex. They probably are still doing it. Those camps were from 9am to 5pm, lunch included, and the camp councellors spoke English coz the kids were of different nationalities. It may be worth a look.

Nov 15th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Justin

There are a lot of options for housing around HKU. You can stay at the Mid-Levels, an upscale residential area just minutes from Central. Since the Mid-Levels comprise of a relatively large area, I might add that the eastern half of the Mid-Levels is a little more upscale than the western half, which is where HKU is located in. Or you can stay in the "Soho" area of Hong Kong, a culturally rich district with more moderately priced options, also quite convinient. Wan Chai and Sheung Wan offer cheaper housing options, but are less desirable districts in terms of class and convinience.

And summer camps! Of course! There are a lot of summer schools/camps in Hong Kong. Hong Kong International School (HKIS) offers an excellent program for kids from overseas. German Swiss International School (GSIS) also has a similar program.