HONG KONG:SARS: how bad is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any body know where I can get up to date info on the present situation in HONG KONG. I have a ticket to travel there in April/May.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM

The World Health Organisation, www.who.int, which currently advises people not to alter their travel plans.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:42 PM

The cdc website has all kinds of info on SARS and links to other reputable websites like WHO, the Canadian and the British websites on it.<BR><BR>www.cdc.gov/travel<BR><BR>By the way, I expect we'll have a lot more info on this soon, given how quickly the research on it is proceeding. Personally, I wouldn't make any decidion yet for late April - early May. (though given the current data, if I had tickets for tomorrow, I'd go).
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Just thought I'd jump in. In Canada they are NOW advising people as of TODAY to defer all travel to Asia and the company I work for (a well known international one) has just issued a statement at 3pm EST that anyone who may have been in contact with a particular hospital that had a SARs outbreak is to leave the premises immediately and stay home for 10 days.<BR><BR>It sounds panicky eh? but I'm just telling you what is going on in Canada at the moment. In light of all this I was going to Asia but now I am not, I am quite hopeful some sort of resolution to this will be reached and I will be able to travel later on.<BR><BR>Oh also, in Canada ALL travellers and I mean all, if you are going Europe/Asia/Caribbean wherever are being screened when the return to our country. <BR><BR>Just my little update. Have a great day all!<BR><BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Flew back from HK to Sydney Mar 25. We did not suffer any ill effects from 2 weeks in HK &amp; China. Stay healthy, eat lots of fruit &amp; veges &amp; get plenty of sleep. We'd fly back to China tomorrow if we had the time. Keep up to date with data from WHO.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:17 PM

It is so bad that Rolling Stones cancel their tour
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:34 PM

We have been chewing on this for weeks as we are scheduled for Beijing, Xian, Shanghai and Hong Kong starting April 13.<BR>The General Manager of our Hong Kong hotel recommended postponing, but checking with a niece who is a PHD in Microbiology and a professor in same, she said if you are generally healthy and don't hang out in high risk areas like hospitals you should be ok and wear germ masks on planes and in crowds.<BR>So I downloaded the info on www.cathaypacific.com that includes the WHO info and it seems the highest risk peeps are indeed hospital workers. Schools are presently closed in HK and under quarantine.<BR>Also, some important facts: since October, there have been about 1250-1500 cases all over China. Today about 150 cases in Hong Kong.Get out a pencil:<BR>Hong Kong's Population is 6,826,500 in 433 sq. mi. The HK Island has 1,407,600 at 31 sq mi Kowloon 2,124,100 per 46.71 sq mi<BR>new territories 3,294 at 971.01 sq mi.<BR>Shanghai has 13,053,700 in 1,966 sq mi (9,000,000 urbanized) and Beijing municipality has 12,780,000 in 484.5 sq mi.That should help you put the Chinese infection (under 2000 people) in perspective. About 1500 peeps in the US die annually from the flu. The new respiratory disease is now in 13 countries including the US and Canada.What makes it scary is the prevention is still unknown,but they seem to have antibiotics and steriods to cure it.If you do get a high fever and respiratory problems while traveling there you should report to a doctor immediately. If you are compromised by antibody defeciencies due to illness or HIV don't risk it. If generally healthy and use the ususal general precautions (including those for travel digestive upsets) you should have a safe trip.<BR>Check out Cathay's website, buy and wear germ masks on the plane (you should do this locally and internationally anyway) take purell and wet wipe towels in your hand bags and watch were and what you eat and drink.<BR>Also wear masks for air co and general street pollution and dust storms. This is good advice with or with out viruses! Hotels(very clean ones) with windows that open are a good idea. Air co can make you sick ANYWHERE including hospitals here in the US!<BR>Get a perspective, check with your doctor and then go and have fun...<BR>We plan to.<BR>!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:05 AM

What a coincidence!! We have the exact itinerary as you Deloris but we are due to go on May 1st. We have had so many different opinions on whether or not we should go ahead but we still have not confirmed yet. I will give it 2 more weeks and see the outcome but your update has been very helpful and encouraging to frustrated people like us. You go have a good time!!!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I live in HK and life has really changed around here. Quite depressing to see people in masks all around (restaurants, grocery stores,taxis). My advice is to postpone your trip. The conditions around don't exactly make for a fun holiday. And this thing is still increasing.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:46 PM

It is back to the drawing board today.<BR>The GM in our hotel in HK e-mailed to advise us to postpone. Just left Maui, Hawaii on Monday and a couple cases were admitted to their local hospital. Looks like we need to watch out EVERYWHERE in the next few months.<BR>Call your Dr. in case of hi fever,bad lungs, etc.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:16 PM

Postponed our trip to China today on strict orders from our doctor. He says to wait for the all clear from the WHO when its safe. Won't try before September. Darn, waited all my life for this trip, but want to survive it too!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:51 AM

I live in HK as well and would like to offer you some perspectives. To scare everyone, most expats that I know are leaving or have left town. Some companies are also ordering employees to work from home in order to avoid commute on public transportation system. No one is sure yet how the disease is transmitted and the number of cases is increasing everyday.<BR>On the bright side, most of the people infected lives in the same apartment complex. If you strip those people out from the stats and also the health care professionals, the number of other infections is actually quite low. People are also recovering from the virus and over 80 people have left the hospitals already. In any event, the fatality rate is not that high at 4% and the deceased are mostly elder people with other complications.<BR>For those of us living here, things are ok. You do see people wearing mask on the streets and things are quieter than usual but if you take the proper precautions by wearing a mask in public places and washing your hands often with disinfectant, it should be OK. But I guess the ultimate question is will you have a good time. If you are going to worry a lot when you are here, forget about it. HK will be here for the next 20 years and I am sure you will have another chance to visit this great metropolitan.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:33 AM

I share the sentiments with all. I was HUGLEY dissappointed when my doctor told me to cancel my trip (I was going around Apr 15th). It's been 5 years my husband and I were talking about it, and that time we were just dating. It was such a blow that the minute we decided this happend...but when I put things in perspective, I knew too HK,China, Singapore will always be there and that I am sure worse things can happen to someone rather than just postponing a trip.<BR><BR>So to all my fellow wannabe HK travellers!! we will visit the great land at some point in our lives!!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 06:24 PM

They'll figure it out soon as the economy is in the balance...and money talks!