Hong Kong Octopus Card

Feb 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong Octopus Card

Hi.
Just want to get some clarification on the Octopus Card.
I know you can get a 3-day card for HK$300 which includes roundtrip on the Airport Express. I think rkkwan mentioned in a posting that the 3 days is actually a 72-hour period, meaning it does not start until your first time on the MTR (not incl the Airport Express). Is my understanding correct?
So if we arrive on a Tuesday, does this mean the 3-day card is still valid for the Express to the airport on Friday?
Thanks...
Feb 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM

dinks -

Some of the earlier information I've given out about the 3-day MTR pass was incorrect. So, let me explain again.

The Airport Express rides are not limited by time. You can do those two rides anytime you want. They're totally seperated from the 3-day MTR portion.

The 3-day MTR pass portion starts when you first ride the MTR train. And it's NOT for 72 hours. Let me repeat, not for 72 hours. Instead, it's good for 3-calendar days, and each calendar day means 6am-1am when the MTR operates.

If your first trip on the MTR is Tuesday (till 1am Wed), your 3-day pass will expire Thursday night (1am Fri). You AE ride going to the airport on Friday is fine, but you cannot ride the MTR on Friday with your card as part of the 3-day pass.

[Now, one thing I'm not clear myself - if you still have some money left in the cash portion of the tourist card, whether you can get the MTR ride for free on Friday when it's used in conjunction with your AE ride to the airport.]
Feb 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi rkkwan.
I was looking around after I posted my query and located a previous posting by you where you addressed the Octopus. I followed a link you suggested which took me to the Octopus website. The info was quite useful.
Thanks for all your help.
Feb 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Dinks, my father in law goes to HK at least once a year and he told me of an octopus card that he uses and then when he's finished with it eh can take it back if he wants (he chooses not to) and gets back whatever is left plus HK$30 deposit. Did you see that on the website?

please please do get some octopus card. it makes life so much easier cos you can use it for heaps of things.
Feb 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM

The deposit for a standard Octopus is HK$50. A HK$7 service fee is deducted if the card is returned within 3 months.

If you're not taking the Airport Express, then just get this regular Octopus.