Hong Kong Layover

Mar 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Hong Kong Layover

On our trip to BKK we have a 6 hour layover in Hong Kong. Is this enough time to take a quick look at the city? If so, what would you see? How would you accomplish this? Thanks.
Mar 25th, 2005, 02:04 PM

6 hours isn't a lot, but it's still possible to do some sightseeing. Worth a trip especially if you've never been to Hong Kong.

Get a same-day return ticket on the Airport Express train (HK$100) to Hong Kong. Train every 15 minutes and takes 23 minutes. Hike up to the Peak Tram station (or take bus 15C, not 15, from the Star Ferry). Take the Peak Tram to The Peak (HK$30 roundtrip). Come down, take Star Ferry to Tsimshatsui.

If you have time, you can have tea at one of the hotels in Tsimshatsui, or just walk along the Avenue of the Stars by the harbor (walk east along the harbor from the Star Ferry). There are several lines of free shuttle bus that can take you back to the Kowloon Airport Express station. There are stops at the Sheraton, the Kowloon Hotel, the Marco Polo Hong Kong hotel. Bus every 12 minutes. [Also at the New World Renaissance, but every 24 minutes.]

Info here:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_compli_e.htm
Apr 10th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Please explain the "free" shuttle? We need the best route also to spend 6 hours in the city from the airport. thanks!
Apr 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM

artista - Go to the link I put there in my last post, and there are the routes for the shuttle bus K1-K5, H1 & H2. Supposedly you need to show a AE ticket, but in practice, it's just a free bus. They have stops at most of the hotels in Tsimshatsui. Choose one that has the more frequent service (K2 or K3; every 12 minutes), and take it from there. Hotels served by those two lines include Marco Polo Prince & Gateway, Marco Polo HK Hotel, Sheraton, Kowloon, Hyatt Regency & the Langham.
Apr 10th, 2005, 07:41 PM

andy---at your pace i bet you could see most of HK in the 6 hours and have time for dim sum also
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM

We just came back from a Thailand trip that included a stopover in Hong Kong. We had about 1.5 days.

Things we loved:
1. Hong Kong History museam: Did the Hong Kong Story english tour. I am not a huge fan of museams, but I really enjoyed this one. The guide wizzed through the exhibt and did more highlighing of the interesting and important things...great pace and not too loaded down with too many facts. We will do it again, if we get back there.

2. Skyline light and laser show (8:00pm-8:15pm) Watch it from The Ave. of the Stars area.(Kowloon side) Very cool and great picutres to be had.

3. Star Ferry to Central Hong Kong area. We actually timed this right at 8:00pm to return from central back to Kowloon on the ferry so we got a front row seat to the lights and laser show from the boat.

4. Victoria Peak (on central side) Do this during the day and not at night. It was foggy both nights we tried to go. In the day time the view is fantastic! You can catch a tram from the Star Ferry Station that will take you to the peak tram that takes to the peak. (bus 15C)

Tip: the regular shopping here was just as expensive as in the States. However, the night markets we cheaper than BKK night markets and seemed like the "knock-off quality" was better in HKG.

Tip2: Go to the information center in the airport (right next to the train ticket counter). They will give you a great map and help you plan your day. they were so helpful for us!

Tip3: I the BKK airport go to the gift shop before you go through security to the gates. If you have time, skim through the Hong Kong travel book for highlights or tips.

Have a wondeful time!