Search

Anyone been to Arashiyama and Kameoka?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:00 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Arashiyama and Kameoka?

I just read through the post for Arashiyama. There is not most in the way of detail. The guide information sounds nice, but then that's its job! Has anyone been to either place? We are interesred in the Scenic Railroad ride or the regular train to Kameoka and the Hozugawa boat ride. We will be in Kyoto in ten days. My husband thinks the boat ride might be a relaxing afternoon and with some nice scenery too boot. We were thinking of doing this after our morning visit to the Imperial Palace. Has anyone done this trip? What is the village of Kameoka, Arashiyama like? How are the crowds?

Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
emd

I was going to visit there and do the boat ride on the day I went to Toei Uzamasa movie park which is also western Kyoto. But got sidetracked by a temple market and ende dup not going. On way back to the train from Toei U. I struck up a conversation w/a man who asked if I had been to Arashiyama; I said no, didn't make it and he said the crowds were huge that day (Monday, march 21, a holiday) and the day before (march 20). So it was crowded then, enough for him to mention it to me. It was nice weather then.
I really want to go to Sagano when I go to Arashiyama next time. I want to see those lovely huge bamboo forests at Sagano, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:10 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks end, I have read that Arashiyama is "Wildly" popular with the Japanese. There is nothing really said about Kameoka except some memtion of hiking, the river amd being 30 km from Kyoto in the hills. The river ride is expensive, but sounds nice and we enjoyed the river ride in Bangkok. Guess we will ride the train up there, if it is too touristy, we can always ride the train back-the pictures of the river area and views from the open air train look really nice.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Hi, I moving this up again. Maybe someone has been and can give me some info. If not, then I can do a trip report when we get back. We leave this week. Thanks for all the help!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
emd

cwn, have a GREAT time. I am sure your planning will pay off nicely. I am waiting already to hear bout Arishiyama and Kameoka and everything else.
I think Florence has been to Arishiyama (she mentioned it to me on a post many months ago, recommedning it if I was going to Toei U.), but she hasn't been around here the last few days. Maybe she will see this in next few days...
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM
cwn
Original Poster

emd, thanks, I hope she see and responds. The area does sound neat.

I am almost packed- two 21" rolling carry-ons and one mostly empty larger rolling piece - for all the shopping I plan to do at the market on the 21st! I put back half of what I pulled out and packed the rest! We still needed the larger case for the dressy things for the cruise home. Still much better than China last fall!

Just hope I can write as nice a report as you did.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM

Bonjour cwn and emd,

Haven't had time to spend on the internet lately, too much work distracting me from the important things in life ;-)

I've never been on the river or taken the scenic train, my favorite approach is by bus. Nr 28 from the station goes through fascinating neighborhoods - take it all the way to Daikakuji, visit this beautiful temple and its grounds, then back to Arashiyama proper.

Definitely go on a weekday, remember everything closes quite early (around 5 - 5:30 PM)

In Arashiyama, the main street is lined with shops selling souvenirs and crafts (some good stuff like the "Chirimen Museum", lots of miniature dolls, accessories and sundries made of recycles kimono fabric, I couldn't resist the rabbits), a memorial to Misora Hibari, the henka singer, restaurants, and great temples that connect to smaller streets good for a stroll.

Along the river are a number of really good restaurants, we ate at one of the cheaper one that has a terrasse overlooking the river and "lake", great home made tofu. I don't remember its name but the menu window at street level shows a dish in a boat.

All in all, Arashiyama is a pleasant area, even though very touristy, good for a relaxing day.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:55 AM

I've done the trip you describe a few years ago - railroad ride along the river, followed by the boat trip on the way back. It's a nice little scenic trip. I liked both the rail and boat journey. It's a cute little toy-looking type of train and quite fun. On the boat trip you may get a few small rapids to liven things up. I think they offer you raincoats if you like. Japanese people tend to like to wear rain ponchos on water rides and such. The scenery is indeed nice. Arashiyama itself is pretty touristy, but I like the river and you can get some good photos on this trip. I've never heard of Kameoka, sorry. This whole area will be much more peaceful on weekdays. Weekends can be a zoo, but good for people watching.

If you're going to be in Kyoto for a few days, I recommend you get out to Ohara, Kibune, and Kurama - all of which are actually nicer and more scenic than Arashiyama in my opinion.