Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Jumbo

Search

Hong Kong Jumbo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Sharon

Hong Kong Jumbo

Looking at information, is there more than 1 Jumbo restaurant? Which would be best to try? Do you need reservations? Is it moderately priced? (I do want a nice dinner, but cannot be too extravagant with budget.)Or is there a better dinner cruise?

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Mike

In June we were in Hong Kong and went to the JUMBO floating restaurant. I don't know if there is more than one, but they claim that JUMBO is the worlds largest floating restaurant. You must go after dark to see it all lighted. You leave the dock and take a very short launch ride over to the restaurant. We were there on a Tuesday evening and it wasn't crowded at 8:00 in the evening. You must go down stairs to the lower level and see the sea creatures ( your dinner) in tanks awaiting their fate, you can even pet them if you dare. Also if you are into photography or videos, take your camera. The night shots are great. As far as price, I don't know, we were on a dinner tour and our meal was included in a package price. I think it was 60$USD( each) for dinner and a trip up the peak after dinner, and a trip to Stanley Market before dinner.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Elizabeth

I am going to Hong Kong in September and am interested in going to the Jumbo and then Stanley Market-can anyone recommend a tour company to do this. I am staying 6 nights at the Holiday Inn with a friend and am not on a tour-Also does anyone know if there is a local bus to Stanley Market?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:06 AM
fiona

the number 6 bus takes you to Stanley( leaves from Exchange Square)It's a great marketn with higher quality items than the city markets. We went to Aberdeen on the way back from Stanley, I can't remember the bus number but timetables at the terminus at Stanley were easy to follow. Your hotel should help you with booking the Jumbo restaurant, there is no need to use a tour company.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Michael From New York

You can take the 973 bus from Kowloon Side as well. The 973 stops on Canton Road, then circles north and eventually goes through the western tunnel to HK. It is about 25 minutes to Aberdeen and another half hour to Stanley.<BR><BR>I'd suggest skipping the Jumbo in Aberdeen and taking the bus all the way to Stanley, for two reasons -<BR><BR>The exhilirating bus ride - sit on the upper deck of the bus and enjoy the thrilling rides along the cliffs heading towards Repulse Bay.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful dinner in Stanley and walk around there instead of being one of hundreds of diners on the Jumbos.<BR><BR>I've been to Hong Kong last four years and all my HK friends say to skip it the Jumbos.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Alison

I agree with Michael from New York. The first time I was in Hong Kong, I took a tour which included a sunset cruise of the harbor around to Aberdeen and dinner at Jumbo. The cruise was great, Jumbo at night is fun to look at, but the dinner was not memorable at all. The only atmosphere is on the outside. I wouldn't bother with eating there. Here's another suggestion: take a ferry from Central to Lamma island (leaves from Pier 4 or 5) to Yung Shue Wan and then hike across the island (actually walk, it is all paved a very nice, walk about an hour and 1/2). You will end up in Sok Kwu Wan where there are a dozen or more outdoor Chinese restaurants where you pick your meal from the seafood tanks just as a poster was describing about Jumbo. The Rainbow restaurant is a favorite, but I'm sure all are good. You can then take a ferry from Sok Kwu Wan back to Central. There are also a couple of nice beaches on Lamma as well as some nice little bar/cafe places in Yung Shue Wan. Lamma is quite popular among the young expat crowd. This is an easy and fun trip. The same kind of trip can be done in Cheung Chau. Good luck.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:19 PM
fiona

we did not go to the jumbo restaurant but enjoyed the junk ride around the harbour. Have not heard very good reports about the Jumbo.