Search

Hong Kong in 4 days - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong in 4 days - suggestions?

Hi there
My boyfriend and I will be in Hong Kong in August for 4 days. We plan to go to the races and see Disneyland, as well as hopefully shop for camera lenses. What do fodorites suggest as the 'must do' things to do in Hong Kong? Does anyone have a suggestion of some good places to go camera shopping? Also, which area is best to stay to be near attractions etc? Any suggestions or help appreciated!
Thanks Cathy
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM

Sorry for bursting your bubbles, but horse racing season is mid-September to 7/1. Disneyland is supertiny, and it's usually much better to buy photo equipment in the US (in terms of price and warranty, if you live in the US).

August is hot and humid and is really a great time to visit Hong Kong.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM

I know from your other posts that you are from Australia, so you would have to do some comparison shopping for camera lenses at home first to make sure that what you are being offered in Hong Kong is a bargain, as that may not be the case. Prices here are not cheaper than the US, but I can’t speak for Austrialian prices. So do know your prices before you start shopping here. Always look at the lens box before you leave the shop to make sure you get what you agreed on. Make sure that any warranty is international, that is, you can get it repaired under warranty in Austrialia if there is a problem with it. I personally would avoid shops in the Nathan Road area of Kowloon and would tend to stick to shops elsewhere. Fortress and Broadway Photo are reputable chains and may be a place to look, see http://www.fortress.com.hk/en/home.html for locations, they give prices for some items. For Broadway Photo Supply, you can see the prices at http://www.broadway.com.hk/, most of the website is in Chinese. They have branches at Time Square and Taikoo Plaza, both on Hong Kong Island, the latter is on the MTR line, and the former is near Happy Valley. These chains are fixed-price and you can't bargain unless you are buying a good number of items and generally also paying cash, then you might get 5 or 10% discount. In smaller shops you can of course bargain and you should. There are smaller indedenpt photo shops on Stanely Street and Lyndhurst Terrace in Central that would be a good place to look as well. Nathan Road is just the main tourist drag and does not have a good reputation and IMO should be avoided.

As mentioned above, the horse racing season does not run in August, but you will find lots of other things to do. The horses start running again in September, so if you can move your trip until later, that may work. It is quite hot, humid and and prone to rain (and the odd typhoon) in August (and September which actually has more typhoons statistically), but if that is the only time you can come, then that will just have to be dealth with. The plus side is that the air is generally much clearer in the summer months than in the winter months.

For activities, please search this board for my very long list of reccos called “Cicerone’s Reccos for What the Locals Do for Fun in Hong Kong (Hint: We DON’T Go to those Awful Night Markets....)” this should give you some ideas for what to do. For suggestions on walks and hikes on Hong Kong Island, see my postings called “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Walks: Severn Road, the Peak”., “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Walks II: Paradise Found! From Happy Valley to Stanley in High Heels! (Almost) The Tsz Lo Lan Shan Path” and Cicerone's Favourite Hong Kong Walks III: The Dragon's Back ". Finally, check the Hong Kong Tourism Board website at discoverhongkong.com. For restaurants, see “Cicerone’s (Updated) Favourite Hong Kong Restaurants (Part I)” and “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Restaurants (Part II) – Michelin Stars and Lesser Mortals”.
I would avoid Disney on Sundays if possible as it will be more crowsed with local Hong Kongers, a weekeday would be better.

For where to stay, I personally prefer the Hong Kong side as I think there is more to do and see here, it has many better restaurant options, and it is less touristy, but The View you see in all the postcards in only available from a few hotels on the Kowloon side (and except for The Salisbury YMCA, at pretty high prices), so if you want that, you may have to stay there. You can see some reccos on this board, or above on the Fodors hotel list or see tripadvisor.com where you can search by price and read reviews.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for that very detailed and informative reply! Pity about the races, but never mind. We have to be in HK in August as we are on a tour in Russia not long after that. We will def research camera prices and check Trip Advisor and I cant wait to read your other posts!!! THANK YOU!!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM

Hrmmm.. Hong Kong. As a newbie HongKonger (moved there in 2006), I tend to like the following:
a) hiking from the Peak down to wherever parts of Hong Kong that the day takes you

b) try the lovely dim sum lunch

c) catch the ferry across the harbour = for the fun of it

d)rent a fishing boat for the day and go on a island hoping spree

e)enjoy a stroll in lantau island, chueng chau island ...

f) hang around mongkok and see what true locals are like

have a good time!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM

Hi

Well, it has been a few years since I went there but maybe you can find some useful info in my Hong Kong trip report with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/china_xian_hong_kong.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures