Hong Kong hotels..with pool?

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong hotels..with pool?

Thanks to the ever-helpful Rkkwan, I have just learned of great business class fares to Hong Kong around Thanksgiving. Question here: Since I want to be able to swim and am assuming that the weather will be too cold for outdoor swimming in November, are there any good hotels with indoor lap pools??
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Hi eks,

Try googling "hong kong indoor pool"
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I looked at Trip Advisor. Have a few ideas but would like clarification about the possibility of outdoor swimming and if outdoor pools would be heated well enough to swim, as well as about indoor pools. You cannot always tell the size of pools from the hotels' website..
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM

End November is "iffy" for outdoor swimming in Hong Kong. The weather is variable. The Intercon, which has one of the nicest pool areas in Hong Kong, used to heat its pool, but that was back in the days of lower fuel costs. I'd definitely check with each hotel.

For indoor pools, consider the Kowloon Shangrila and, if you budget allows, the Peninsula.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM

The Peninsula has an indoor pool of a pretty good size, not Olympic, but quite doable for laps. The Salisbury YMCA has an indoor pool of a larger size (I think it technically is Olympic size) that would work and their prices are much less with the same view (but not from their pool, although the Peninsula pool does have The View). The Mandarin has a very small indoor pool, you would be turning quite a lot doing laps in it. I have not seen the indoor pool at the Kowloon Shangri-La so donít know anything abut its size. (While itís a perfectly good hotel, I generally am not crazy about the location of this hotel, itís just at the far edge of everything, IMO. But then again I am not a fan of Kowloon for the most part either.)

For hotels with outdoor pools, itís a toss up as to whether it will be warm enough to swim at Thanksgiving AND whether the pools are open. Some hotels close them for maintenance in the ďwinterĒ months. You should confirm that with any hotel you are considering for an outdoor pool. If they are open, some are heated (you probably want to confirm that as well), but even then it can be chilly if you get a really cool set of days. (Even a heated pool in low 60F weather isnít going to be that great either in or getting out; those low temps are rare in November, but one never knows, it could be in the high 70s F.) The Four Seasons pool is open all year, and they heat at least one of their pools, both are good size for laps, and they also have those outdoor heaters around a good bit of the pool deck. The Marriott tends to close their pool in the winter. The Hyatt and Renaissance Kowloon share a pool deck which has a large outdoor pool (it may be the largest in Hong Kong, but it is a bit sheltered as it is set back and surrounded by the hotels themselves so it may be a little out of harbour breezes. The Metropark has a rooftop pool which is outdoors but partially covered, so the covering may help with keeping out breezes. The size is OK, more like a good size backyard pool but swimable with some turning with laps.

The weather is generally perfect for walking and hiking and we have lots of great trails here, so you might want to bring your hiking boots and leave your swim suit at home.

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 12:37 AM

We were in Hong Kong this past Thanksgiving and we did have beautiful weather. We were able to swim outside no problem. We always like the JW Marriott's pool and also the Grand Hyatt-but check to be sure they will not close in November as mentioned above. Our kids even swam in the South China so you can always hope!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the great responses...Cicerone you are a treasure here! I will look into this further..it has always been my dream to stay at Peninsula HK..is there any trick to getting the best rate at a very pricey property?
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:41 AM

Yes, if you have a Hong Kong ID they run weekend specials for locals, sorry Iím not that altruisticÖ..ha ha haÖbut really I think you might try your credit card company to see if they offer any deals, that seems to be the only way. I have not really looked much at getting discounted rates there, but I donít think they really discount on any websites. They arenít part of Leading Hotels of the World, etc because they are their own chain. So either a really well-connected travel agent (check the Conde Nast Gold List) or your credit card company, e.g., Amex sometimes can get deals at Four Seasons and may be able to get a deal at the Penn. (Try to get it to include the Rolls pick up at the airport!!!)

Isnít there some website that offers luxury packages, I canít remember the name, you bid on the package, maybe they have something at the Penn. Other posters may remember the name.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cicerone! I will do the checking. The trip is so far a possibility but not definite. I am going to think about hooking up HK with a visit to one other place so need to do some reading and thinking....

The site: www.luxurylink.com just got a good review in Conde Nast Traveler. They also liked www.zuji.com for Asian airfares, and surprisingly, www.hotels.com for hotels in Asia...

Again, thank you.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM

Oh, what airline has these great fares?
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM

I was telling ekscrunchy on a different thread that Continental always have good business class fare to Hong Kong during Thanskgiving, Christmas and Chinese New Holiday.

For example, last Christmas, there were fares for under $3,000, while coach for the same dates can run $1,500 or more.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I was told, by one of the "resident airline experts" here, that Continental offers great bc fares from the NY area to Hong Kong during holiday periods.........I have not yet looked into this myself...

The information is contained in a recent thread about breaking a 24-hour flying time...
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM

If you book the Peninsula Hong Kong through a Virtuoso agent, you get the following benefits along with a competitive rate.
virtuoso rate

room except grand deluxe kowloon view room and grand deluxe harbour view room upgrade subject to availability at time of check-in, daily breakfast in the lobby restaurant for each guest in th e ,one set dinner in the lobby restaurant per guest per stay, late check-out until 4pm subject to availability. Taxes and service charges not included.

You can check Virtuoso rates and benefits and availability on www.whatahotel.com.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM

Luxurylink was the site I was trying to remember.

Indoor pool issue aside, just be careful when booking the Penn rooms via the offer above, because to the best of my knowledge, ONLY the rooms denoted as ďharbour view roomsĒ actually have harbour views. The other room categories do not. IMO it is not worth paying a ďdiscountedĒ rate to stay at the Penn if you donít have a harbour view. (It still probably isnít cheap in any event.) While the rooms are very nice indeed, if you donít have the view I really donít see the point. You can stay at equally nice properties elsewhere in Hong Kong, e.g. the Four Seasons, the Conrad, the Island Shangri-La or even the JW Marriott for a little less and have a view (OK not The View but still interesting) and be closer to the action and much better restaurants. Alternatively, if you are going to end up paying about the same price as the Penn and have no view, then stay at the Mandarin. The Intercon should be less as well, and for Kowloon has a nice location. If you want to be sure of the harbour view room at the Penn you may have to book it yourself, as booking with an agent and hoping for the upgrade may not be the best way.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM

Of course you can book a harbor view room at the Peninsula via Virtuoso...you will not be able to upgrade to a harbor view on a complimentary basis is what they are saying. Virtuoso is not a discounter, but a group of exclusive agents who represent a group of exclusive hotels. A Virtuoso agent can get you rooms at their negotiated rate with great extras that really do add up, and often, but not always, the rate is lower than what you might pay otherwise.

Virtuoso is somewhat similar to AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts program for platinum card holders...negotiated rates, perks...not a discount agent like asiarooms or similar. I learned of Virtuoso at flyertalk.com luxury hotels board, and have had very good experience through booking with them with rates, inclusions and great upgrades.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM

That is not how I had read the excerpt in your post, it appeared to say that the room rate if booked through Virtuoso did NOT include a grand deluxe harbour view room. If that is not the case, that would be good, but that should be clarfied, because at my reading of it, that was my understanding of what it was saying.

I read it like this: room, except grand deluxe grand deluxe kowloon view room and grand deluxe harbour view, room upgrade subject to availability at time of check-in...the missing commas make a big difference.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM

I had just copied and pasted from the reservation information, which usually lacks punctuation. To see exactly what you get with Virtuoso bookings, look at www.whatahotel.com and go through the booking process. I do not use them for actual bookings, though, as last I knew they charged a fee to make bookings. My Virtuoso agent does not charge a fee, and in fact, most do not.

Cicerone, with your travel patterns, you may want to look into booking with a Virtuoso agent, as they sell many of the properties you indicate you have been to. Before you assume it is some sort of bad deal or dodgy discounter, take a couple of minutes and research Virtuoso...they have an excellent reputation and excellent track record. Becoming a Virtuoso agent is highly selective, and hotels pay a subscription fee to be represented by them.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM

And, with rereading, perhaps the "except" portions mean that Virtuoso amenities are not offered with bookings for those room types...or upgrades to them are not offered...not sure. I have not booked Peninsula HK with them, but I have booked others and had great luck.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM

My apologies, I am not trying to say they are dodgy, or you were wrong. I am only trying to make sure that if someone wants a harbour view, that they get, and that also in my opinion there is no point in paying for a non-harbour view room at the Penn.

It is difficult in postings to understand the tone of what one intends, but I was in no way trying to imply that there was anything wrong with your suggestion, your choice of agent, or Virtuoso itself. I was just pointing out what I thought I saw in the post. I have not used Virtuoso, and donít have any familiarity with how they post. I just want to make sure people get what they want.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM

You are right...it is difficult to interpret posts. Sorry I misunderstood you. I am the queen of research on all topics that interest me (or require research) and often forget that others are not quite so anally precise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information