Hong Kong hotels/room size ???

May 11th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong hotels/room size ???

Advice please on hotels in HK - I have heard the rooms are quite small and we like SPACE (esp if we can't afford a suite). Also, is it better to be Kowloon side, Tsim Sha Tsi. What is benefit over Causeway Bay? We are looking at Marco Polo HK HOtel, Peninsula, Langham, Sheraton... or....?
thanks, Melanie
May 11th, 2005, 03:47 AM

The merits of staying on Hong Kong Island side versus Kowloon side has been debated many times on this site, run a search.

With regard to room size, call, fax or send an e-mail to the hotels you are considering and ask for the average room size for the room types you want (double, suite, etc). They all have this info and will provide it. As a guide, a typical US motel room with two double beds is 28 square meters, including the bathroom. IMO anything below 25 square meters/250 square feet is quite tight for 2 people for anything more than 1 night. Room size in Hong Kong is actually not too bad vis a vis room size in Europe, but budget hotels do tend to have smaller rooms than say the Penn.
May 11th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Both the Marco Polo Hong Kong and Sheraton have pretty large rooms, as they are both relatively old and built in the early 70's before land prices skyrocketed in HK.

The Peninsula is one of the top luxury hotels in the world. Never heard of anybody complained of small rooms.

There are two Langhams in HK. The Langham Place is the new 5* hotel in Mongkok, and has very beautiful and modern rooms. I've not heard of small rooms there either. The one that I don't really know is the Langham in Tsimshatsui - it may have smaller rooms, I don't know.
May 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM

New World Hotel - in a word - small.
May 11th, 2005, 07:34 AM

The Shangri-La in Kowloon is renowned for having large rooms (for Hong Kong). I stayed there years ago and the rooms were large and lovely.
May 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Oh, forgot to add. If you like large rooms, the soon-to-open Landmark Mandarin Oriental says it has the largest guestrooms in Hong Kong. Not sure its exact opening date, however. It's in the heart of Central, but no view.
May 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone this helps

Search this Thread