Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong- Excelsior or Renaissance Harbor View?

May 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm staying in Hong Kong for business at the end of the month- I cant decide between staying at the Excelsior (part of Mandarin Oriental group) or Renaissance Harbor View (a Marriot hotel). Is there a preference for one over the other?

May 4th, 2005, 04:55 PM
JohnWM

I'll be in Hong Kong next week, and decided to choose between the New World Renaissance and the Harbor View Renaissance. The review of the two hotels that I read on AsiaHotels.com clearly indicated that the location of the Harbor View Renaissance was a negative: a deserted area by night.

May 4th, 2005, 07:36 PM

i stayed at the rennaissance and it was very nice and about a 5 minute walk to the star ferry....the attached mall was quite nice and had lots of shops including a huge grocery store...the hotel is a bit older than some and may need some renovation but our room was wonderful...
May 4th, 2005, 10:52 PM

they are both nice properties. If you are going to be in Hong Kong for a tradeshow the Renaissance is darn handy to the convention center....but the Excelsior is a very cheap and easy cab ride away (less than $4 US one way)

Personally, I would opt for the Excelsior as I prefer the location for its proximity to shopping (both upscale and street markets) and the level of activity day and night.

Regardless you should treat yourself to a dinner at Tott's - the upscale restaurant on the top of the Excelsior - its neither cheap nor outrageous with an excellent fusion menu and top-notch service. Make reservations for a window table and enjoy the view of Kowloon across the water.

Big Bucket foot massage is just round the corner as well and you should plan to enjoy at least one good foot massage there.

Enjoy your visit to my favorite city!!!
May 4th, 2005, 11:18 PM

rhkkmk - It sounds like you're describing the New World Renaissnace in Tsimshatsui, not the Harbour View at the Convention Center in Wanchai.

But there is a Star Ferry service from Wanchai to Tsimshatsui.
May 7th, 2005, 03:38 AM

The Renaissance Harbour View shares the pool deck and recreation area with the Hyatt, and it is very large and a nice plus for Hong Kong, there is even a small running path. The health club at the Excelsior is a bit small, IMO. I think the Renaissance is also a nicer hotel in terms of room size and luxury level, esp if the Excelsior has not had a redo since I last saw it 3 years ago.

The location of the Renaissance is not as good as the Excelsior, unless as noted above, you are going to be at the Convention Centre, in which case it is a better choice.

Agree on the TOTTS recco for dinner or a drink at their bar.
May 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I've stayed in both, albeit some time ago, but would choose the Renaissance for its great swimming pool alone. I believe it's the largest of any hotel on Hong Kong island. If you're staying there for more than a couple of days, I'm sure you'll appreciate it after a hard day's work.