Search

Can u help with ideas for cheapish Hong Kong hotel - guidebook challenged

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can u help with ideas for cheapish Hong Kong hotel - guidebook challenged

Hello all,

I'm trying to persuade an on the spur of the moment visitor to stop over in Hong Kong on the way back to the UK. The issue is cost of accommo but to me it seems a missed opportunity - fabulous destination and there's probably never going to be a better time to stay somewhere that would normally be out of reach. A touch of class if not luxury.

Now I was last there in 1997 and was on a budget (think mansion blocks) so I haven't a clue. I don't have a guide book or a map to hand and can't get one. I need quick arguments as flight will be bought in the next few days ... so I would appreciate your help.

Wanted - nice hotel where you can walk out the door and go for a wander/find something to eat/access public transport easily for sightseeing.

For one night only. Single woman in '50s. Budget - ???? usd 100-150 (or is this impossible?) Have looked at wotif but I don't know where any of the places are!

Thanks to all who take the time to chip in.
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM

The YMCA Salisbury is considered to be the best "value" hotel in Hong Kong. You may even be able to get a harbor view room.
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:27 AM

You can get something quite nice for US$150. What's the date?
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM

I'd suggest you look at the Marco Polo hotels in Kowloon, specifically the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel. It's an older property, but reasonably kept up, friendly. Excellent location minutes from the Star Ferry, short walk to the subway, plenty of shopping, restaurants. Not long on class, but extremely convenient.

http://www.marcopolohotels.com/hotel...ong/index.html
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM

If you can get a harbour view room at the YMCA Salisbury, go for it. We absolutely adored it. Could have spent the whole night just watching the view from our window. It's exactly the same view you would get from the 5 star Peninsula Hotel next door at a fraction of the price. The location is great as well.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM

I have never stayed in any of the hotels suggested, they are all in Tsim Sha Tsui. If you'd like to do a search on Wotif for hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui, I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Although I would agree that the view from The Salisbury YMCA is excellent and it is a good value, I would not otherwise say that TST offers a good place to “go for a wander” or to find good restaurants. It’s pretty touristy and quite congested. It has the same mid-price and some luxury branded stores you have at home (Body Shop, Benetton and Gucci) and a good number of bad to average restaurants (other than a small handful of good ones, most of which are expensive to incredibly expensive). If you can get a booking at the Salisbury for a harbour view room, I would say that is a good choice. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com/. This hotel is generally booked months in advance, so that might be your only problem. Not sure I would bother with a non-harbour view room at that hotel.

Otherwise, I would take a look at the Bishop Lei up in mid-levels on Hong Kong Island which would offer you the opportunity to walk to many sites on foot or via the escalator, there are numerous good restaurants which are within walking distance, you can walk up to the Peak (or better yet, down as it is a far easier trip or walk over to the Bowen Road or May Road stop on the Peak Tram) and it is on a major bus line if you want to get down to Central more quickly than via the escalator. (A taxi to Central would cost less than US$4, and take 5 minutes. ) Rooms can be small, so go for the largest in your budget, one of their harbour suites or Grand Harbour View suites would be les than US$100, so well within your budget. Has some lovely city and harbour views. In a real neighborhood as well. http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I've failed to persuade the traveller but will save your tips for the day I get to make a second visit myself. The Bishop Lei sounds great!

Cheers.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Bishop Lei is a fine hotel, but do you really want a place that's up on the hills in a mostly residential district with no direct access to the subway trains? Definitely won't be my first recommendation for an infrequent visitor to Hong Kong.

Like I said, $150 can get you some pretty good hotels right now, depending on exact date, of course.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:34 AM

I have never understood the attraction of the subway for a visitor to Hong Kong. It does not go to the Peak, Aberdeen the entire south side, the Soho/Hollywood Road area of Central. I just don't get why a tourist would need to take it on any sort of regualr basis. There is the wonderful scenic tram for getting around the small area of Central and Wan Chai that you want to see (although both are eminently walkable). If you want to go to Causeway Bay, yes you can take the subway, but being at a hotel near the subway in that case is no advantage for a one-time trip there. And yes, if you are out in MOngkok in Kowloon, the subway is a good way to get places. But from Hong Kong Island, you are already right where you want to be and can use other modes of transport more easily and scenicly. Have not even started to mention the ferries (a long walk from the nearest MTR stop.) But even as a resident, I rarely take the MTR because it does not go where I need to (Central, most all of Wan Chai, Peak, Southside and outlying islands).

Mid-levels is not "up in the hills". As the name implies is it mid-way up the moutain toward the Peak. With the very convenient escalator, good bus service and cheap taxis, this is a very good place to stay. The OP asked for something which would give her an interesting wander, and IMO, this area more than meets that criteria. Within walking distance is a little mosque, some of the few remaining older colonial apartments, the little boutiques, art galleris and restaurants of Peel Street and the Soho area, the zoo and botanic gardens, the old governor's house and the Catholic cathedral of Hong Kong. Not to mention the fact that the hotel is in an actual neighborhood of apartments, restaurants, dry cleaners and schools and not a Body Shop, Benetton or camera shop every 10 feet like in Kowloon (or a big shopping mall either).
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Not saying it's not for any tourist, but one just have to know what it is like.

I live in the Mid-Levels for 8 years. I know the area. My mom taught at Raimondi college, next to the Bishop Lei.

While I personally take the bus more than the subway myself, I understand the convenience of having direct access to the subway as a visitor. Maybe the OP doesn't need it, that's okay with me.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM

I agree, the subway (MTR) is not the best way to get around HK. I think most tourists take the subway since they think it's easy to use and it's fool proof as to which stop to get off. Trams, buses, the star ferry, etc. are more fun to ride and you can actually see the hussle and bussle of the city from these modes of transport.

Obviously, Cicerone, rkkwan and I know how to get around HK. I do think for a first time visitor some bus routes maybe confusing and it's difficult to determine where to get off.

I prefer the island to Kowloon, and when I'm in HK, I stay on the island and seldom cross over to Kowloon. I usually tell first time visitors to check hotels in TST, Causeway Bay and Central. The mid levels are off the beaten tourist track Soho, Lan Kwai Fong, Central are all a short stroll away.

afterall, it will be interesting to hear about your experience in HK, HK has changed alot in the past 12 years.