Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong 1st week Oct for 4 days, not business where to stay/do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help, have read extensively in this forum but can't decide and time is running out to book! We live in NYC so am used to big city but think we prefer more "real" areas, wet markets, small shops, not malls, food shops, prefer these to business/ tourist areas, etc. We like NYC soho, is Hong Kong soho like this or like meat packing district NYC? Which hotels there are well located for trams, Metro to other sites?..... want to be well located, will be flying in from US (are on our way to 3 month work stay in Melbourne) arrive evening so hopefully will be ready to go explore the next morning and for 3 more days. Would love a view but would like to keep budget to between $150-200USD, the Y Salisbury is booked and have read alternating opinions vis a vis Kowloon and HK island. Soooooooo, help.... need to do this.....
At this point anything that helps narrow down would appreciated. Husband has come up with Bishop Lei, Island Pacific,courtyard by Marriot.
Also, anything special going on that week?
Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Get a room on a high floor at the Panorama By Rhombus. Same view as the Intercontinental/YMCA but at a lower price.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:42 PM

Massive influx of mainland Chinese tourists into Hong Kong to buy luxury goods, as Oct 1 is start of weeklong holiday in China. Also means hotel will be tight and expensive.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Could be interesting.....so far there seem to be rooms available.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 06:57 AM

If you are here on October 1, that is a holiday (National Day). There are usually fireworks in the harbour which are spectacular. Having a harbour view room or being in a restaurant or elsewhere with a view is a good idea. The fireworks are either at 8 pm or 9 pm (your hotel will know) and last about 20 minutes. Otherwise, the holiday is not a big deal, and stores, restaurants, tourists sights, etc will be open per normal. Public transport runs on a holiday schedule which for the most part means more often than normal, esp. in the countryside areas where you may want to go hiking. As mentioned above, this can be a week which is crowded at some tourist sites, as many PRC mainlanders have 4-7 days off that week as a national holiday. But it will be hit or miss as to how crowded things will be. You probably won’t notice much.

SOHO on Hong Kong Island bears only a passing resemblance to SOHO in NYC. They both have trendy restaurants and boutiques; although in Hong Kong the streets are far more narrow and the buildings generally taller. It’s fine to stay there, as you can walk (downhill) or take the escalator to most sights; however there are not a whole lot of hotels in the area, not sure what you have been looking at. You may be looking in Lan Kwai Fong or Sheung Wan, both of which are not technically SOHO, but perfectly fine as well. You are unlikely to have a view from any hotel in that area (other than Hotel LKF). None of the hotels you mention in your post are in SOHO.

At the end of the day, Hong Kong is rather small, public transport is excellent and the main tourist sites are not that far apart. So it does not matter a whole lot where you stay. I personally am not a fan of Kowloon (far too many tourists and far too few good restaurants), but if you have a view room than Kowloon is fine. The Panorama, mentioned above, is fine; some of the rooms have good views. Rooms can be on the small side. The neighborhood is mostly offices, and you will encounter mostly other tourists. (Kowloon is like Times Square to me; people who are visiting think they are seeing the “real” New York, while New Yorkers don’t tend to spend any time there. Kowloon has a great view, which is its only draw.)

Of the three hotels you mention, I would say to go with the Bishop Lei or the Marriott Courtyard. The Bishop Lei is located up above SOHO, and easy to get to SOHO from there via the escalator or a downhill walk. Some of the rooms have very nice views. (Rooms can be small, but with a US$150-200 budget you should be able to get a large room or suite.) The Courtyard is in Sheung Wan, but just a bit east of the main restaurant areas. Nonetheless, it is in one of my favourite neighborhoods, one of the few remaining traditional Hong Kong neighborhoods (which will change when the subway stop opens there shortly). If you want a “real” neighborhood, then this would be a good choice for you. Some of the rooms have very good views, and if you have one for the fireworks, could be a good choice. The Courtyard is newer and perhaps a bit more luxurious, the Bishop Lei is very convenient for bars and boutiques of SOHO as well as the wet market areas of Peel and Graham Streets. (The Bishop Lei is in a very “real” neighborhood, it’s just more of a prosperous neighborhood when compared to the neighborhood of the Courtyard. It’s sort of like the Upper West Side. Lots of nannies with babies in prams. But few tourists.)

The Island Pacific is in the same neighborhood as the Courtyard, but I don’t think it is nearly as nice. It is older and seems more run-down. (I have not seen the rooms.)

The MTR (subway) will not take you to many of the places you will want to go (the Peak, Stanley/Southside, Aberdeen, or outlying islands other than Lantau), so IMO it is not at all necessary to choose a hotel based on access to the MTR. Buses, taxis and trams work just as well. Your feet will too.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all and esp. Cicerone. As others have said over the years, you are amazing and generous of spirit, word and time. I really appreaciate the detail of your reply. We have booked a "harbour" view room at the Bishop Lei (although in the room details after I paid it says "city view". I don't know if that is the same or if I should try to contact them to make sure. Since we arrive into the airport around 7 p.m. not sure if we will make it into town for the fireworks but will certainly try. What is the best way in to the Bishop Lei at that time of night? (We will be travelling with significant baggage since we are on our way to Australia for several months, and are in our 60's...although spry!....so don't know if public transport makes sense. I think the Bishop Lei may have a shuttle although it looks like you pay...do you know how that compares to a taxi from the airport.Maybe if we are on the road at the time of the fireworks the driver can find a place for us to watch them!
Anyway, I think given your response and what else we've read we'll stick with the Bishop and explore from there. I've read Cicerone's restaurant suggestions and am overwhelmed deciding. We are used to small wonderful restaurants in NYC and would like to explore those types but would also like at least one or two special dining experiences while we're in HK....thoughts? and thanks again for your and all of the Fodorite's suggestions and kindnesses.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 09:30 PM

Yes, the harbour view and the city view will be the same thing.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 01:22 AM

I would suggest you confirm with the Bishop Lei that you have a harbour view. “City view” can mean something quite different, and may be the other side of the building looking toward the Peak. That is what “city view” means at the Four Seasons for example. While the Bishop Lei does not use this nomenclature on the website, this is a point on which you want to err on the side of being completely sure.

You may actually have a nice view from your hotel for the fireworks. If you can see the expanse of water between the very, very tall building on the left across the harbour and the low pink concrete windowless Cultural Centre on the right on the waterfront, then you should have a good view for the fireworks.

One thing to remember with luggage, is that you can store luggage AT the airport, which might make sense for you, as you certainly don’t need 3 months’ worth of clothes for 4 days. There are checked baggage facilities located in the main arrivals hall (called the Meeters and Greeters Hall). It will cost you about US$6 a bag. The website for Hong Kong airport is hongkongairport.com., for left baggage see http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...gage.html#left

In any event, you have three options as I see it to get from the airport to the hotel:

1. A limousine service, this is easiest but most expensive. I think about HK$700 but check with sites. For a private limo service go to http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...limousine.html. I have used Parklane for years and they are very good. Any limo service will meet you just outside baggage claim and bring you right to the car. Very nice service. The drive will take about 30 minutes. We have little traffic, so not an issue.

2. A taxi, this will be about HK$400 give or take. A small charge for the luggage. No tipping is required or expected. The taxi will take about 30 minutes.

3. Airport Express train to Hong Kong Station and then a taxi to the hotel. This is quite easy to do, and even with a lot of luggage, quite manageable. The journey is 28 minutes. Train fare is about HK$100 per person; there are some deals if you buy an Octopus card, you can look into that, but assume HK$100 as a ballpark. You can roll luggage cars onto the train and there is a luggage area in each car, so you don’t really have to schlep bags a whole lot. There will be luggage carts when you arrive into the train station and you can repeat the exercise at that end. The taxi rank is just opposite where the train arrives, so again is very easy. The taxi fare to the Bishop Lei would be about HK$25-30, again with a small luggage charge. The drive will take about 10 minutes. So about HK$240 combined for the entire trip.

4. The hotel does run a shuttle from the Airport Express station in Hong Kong (it is free), but the last shttle seems to be at 6:50 pm (on the holiday schedule, you arrive on a holiday) so you may not make it. In any event, a taxi is going to be faster and a bit more manageable with luggage.

There are public bus options form the airport but you would have to change at least once and frankly, I think this would be a hassle, although quite a bit cheaper. If cost is a big issue, let me know and I can provide bus numbers and directions. If you will be taking all your luggage, I would not use the public bus.

Lots of small as well as special (i.e. expensive) dining options in Hong Kong. If you want my restaurant list, send me an email at [email protected]