Honeymoon to Thailand in June?

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon to Thailand in June?

I'm in the early stages of planning a honeymoon for next June and have become intrigued with the possibility of Thailand. One of my concerns is the weather, as I understand that in some parts of the country this is the rainy season.

I will have somewhere between 2-3 weeks for the trip. I recognized that there are great Thai resorts for good value, but for once my finance and I are ignoring cost (for the most part) and hoping to stay at the very best hotels.

With this background, any thoughts on this rough itinerary are appreciated:

a) 6-8 nights on Koh Samui. We are looking for a little beach time to unwind after the wedding. Any recommendations on nice hotels? I've heard there is a Four Seasons Koh Samui in the works but I'm not sure it will be open in time. Also, am I correct to avoid Phuket in June?

b) 6-8 nights in northern Thailand. This is the area where I'm particulary worried about weather. We are considering the Four Seasons or Oriental in Chiang Mai. The length of this leg will depend in part on whether we try Chiang Rai as well. Has anyone stayed at the new tented camp (which may prove beyond our budget)? Any other hotel recommendations in Chiang Mai?

c) 4 nights in BKK. Not sure where we'll stay but it sounds like there are plenty of options.

Any thoughts are appreciated! I've been amazed at how helpful the regulars on this board are.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM

A great review of the BEST honeymoon resorts in Thailand is at:

http://5starthailand.com/honeymoon_resorts.htm

Another place to look is the "Best of the Best" resorts page at:

http://5starthailand.com/best_of_the_best.htm

Enjoy!

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM

I can only speak of Bangkok to which I have been 3 times. Twice, I stayed at the Peninsula and once at the Shangri-La which is across the river from the Peninsula.

Both are top-notch hotels. The rooms at the Peninsula all overlook the river for breathtaking views. You will see the river traffic moving along constantly with its most interesting boats and barges as it is a main thoroughfare in Bangkok. To get to the shopping districts as well as the sky train, you will board the Peninsula barge which will take you across the river to get to the main "tourist" shopping areas. The service and friendly staff are superb, the rooms are phenomenal!

The Shangri-La is across the river from the Peninsula and is by the skytrain terminal. We stayed on the Club level and the room was amazing (rain shower w/ room to lay down in the shower!, marble bath, etc). The Club level will give you access to free internet, free cocktails and breakfast.

Happy planning!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM

the penn is for you...perfect unless you want more "history" and then it would be the oriental hotel...both are on the river and face each other...

in the main center of the city may i suggest the intercontinental (old world) or the four seasons or the hyatt....all in the same area, near the american and british embassys....

in samui take a look at the pansea...

in the north spend at least some time at the anantara in chiang saen....

i have been two years in a row to thailand in june...first 3 weeks....we found the weather fine....on most afternoons there was some rain so the morning is swimming time....occasionally there are huge rain storms lasting a few hours...

you will be happy generally with the weather, but it is quite hot and humid
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM

You may find June rather hot in the north; Bangkok of course is always hot. On average you can expect temperatures to reach 32 during the day and to fall to about 24 over night. Daytime humidity will be in the eighties, with humidity falling evenings to the mid sixties.

Although it is in the “wet season” June is not the among the wettest months in Chiang Mai, average rainfall would be about 130 mm; about half of what we get in August and September. The rain really shouldn’t affect your holiday; most people welcome it as a respite from the heat.