Honeymoon -- Bangkok/Hanoi/Hoi An/Angkor Wat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping you can help me with my honeymoon itinerary. We will be in SE Asia from April 21 (arriving late) to May 5 (leaving early). We're on the United flights from Chicago, which I know people here don't like!
I've narrowed our trip down to Bangkok, Hanoi (and Halong Bay), Hoi An and Siem Reap. I am not sure which order to do the trip and I'm having trouble figuring out the internal flights.
I'd love any advice on how to organize our trip and how to do the internal flights. Also, in which places do you recommend we hire drivers/guides?
Thanks so much!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:50 PM

By my count, you have 13 days on the ground, not including your arrival and departure days. You've listed 4 places plus a day trip... this is really NOT what you want to do on your honeymoon. You'll spend most of your time in transit. I'd say choose three places, max. It sounds like you'll be flying into and out of Bangkok. You can fly non-stop to Siem Reap from BKK, and you can fly non-stop to Hanoi from BKK. You cannot fly to Hoi An (only DaNang), so that may be the easiest to cut. Also, you cannot fly nonstop between Siem Reap and Hanoi, so the logistics work against you. Pause and re-think what is most important for you to see/do/experience and pare down your destinations.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM

I believe that Vietnam Airlines has two nonstops Siem Reap to Hanoi as follows:
6 PM - VN 842
7:45 PM - VN 844

Flight time is under 2 hours. You will need a paper ticket so I suggest you make your reservation through an agent in Bangkok or, if you wish, you can make the reservation on Expedia(about a $20 fee for a paper ticket).Good luck and have a wonderful honeymoon.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM

i agree with kathie....cut something....suggest halong bay be axed....

i would be happier if you cut VN all together and just do bkk at the beginning and then SR and then back to bkk ....otherwise all you are doing is travelling around...

pick a bkk hotel that is wonderful....with a nice pool area and lots of lux for your honeymoon....you will be far happier this way....there is wonderful eating in bkk and lots to do for your time there....

i would plan on 4 full days in SR....pick your hotel there carefully as well and get them quick....it is late to be getting hotels...

sorry to disturb your plan but i think in the end you would not be happy with it
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:03 AM

Jerry, a friend of mine wanted to fly between Hanoi and Siem Reap just a couple of months ago, and found listed flights, but they all went through HCMC. Are these new flights on VN Air? Are they really non-stop? That would be news, indeed!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:06 AM

Not everyone here "doesn't like" the UA flights from ORD to BKK. That's the way I travel everytime I go to BKK, and I've now been nine times (the last time was just in January). Prices on those flights are crazy!! I usually like to buy an upgradeable ticket and then ride in business class (upstairs on the 747). But this last time they wanted an add'l $550 to do that!!! Yikes!!! I hope you got a good deal on your tickets.

Carol
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM

I'm a regular on United, out of L.A., and don't have problems with United. I've flown them regularly for 2-plus decades. It's just that within the last couple years their airfares have been going up a lot as far as flying to Southeast Asia, so I've switched to Thai Air since it's cheaper, the cancellation fee is only $75., and the frequent flyer miles end up in my United account anyhow. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM

Kathie, Expedia and three agents (one in Bangkok, one in Vietnam and one in the US) say that there are 2 direct flights from Siem Reap. I assume they are correct since I am booking one of the flights. Expedia also shows the flights which go through HCMC. I guess that they have added these flights since your friend's visit.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info Jerry.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM

Kathie, It may also depend upon the day you are flying as I do not think that both of these flights are avalable every day.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Jerry -- I had no idea that you could book the internal, international flights on Expedia. Thanks. That's a huge help.
RHKK -- I'm really excited about Vietnam so I don't want to cut that, but I did book a nice hotel in BKK -- the Oriental.
Do you think the following itinerary is too much? Also, what do you think about the order? Does it make sense or should I move things around?
3 nights and days in Bangkok
4 nights in Hanoi, with one day in Halong Bay
3 nights in Hoi An
3 nights in Siem Reap
Back to Bangkok and one night at airport hotel.

Thank you!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM

i can't comment on it because i think it is way over extending yourselves and you will not be happy with the result...sorry
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM

In can totally understand why you want to go to all of those places...they are all wonderful. However, I strongly urge you to consider the following before locking yourself into such a rushed itinerary.

Jet lag can be fierce...you will likely be exhausted on arrival, and will be dying to get some comfortable sleep. You will wake up early, and you should use this opportunity to get out and see something, because by mid-afternoon, you will likely be wiped out from jet lag. It typically takes one day to adjust for every hour of time change.,.Chicago to BKK...your entire trip to completely adjust to the time zone, though the first day is worst.

Heat...it is hot and humid...hot and humid...did I mention hot...in April. It's the hottest time of the year in BKK. On top of trying to fight your body over the jet lag, you will be exhausted from the heat. Just walking from the hotel door to the taxi will seem like huge effort.

It takes at least half of a day to change locations. You lose a lot of time of your short holiday packing, checking out, getting to the airport, checking in early, waiting, flying, claiming luggage, getting to your next hotel, checking in, settling in...in and of itself, moving so often can be exhausting. Add to that the jet lag and the heat.

I would recommend that you cut at least one destination...and save it for another trip. Asia is a great place to travel, and you will have another trip, I'm sure.

Your honeymoon should be special and relaxing, not a whirlwind tour of 4 cities in 13 days, with some time to relax and get to know the places you are a bit.

As an example, over Christmas and New Year this year, we spent a total of 17 days in Thailand, had no jet lag. We had 1 short night due to late arrival in BKK, then a morning flight to Chiang Mai, 7 nights in Chiang Mai (2 of which were at elephant camp), 6 in Khao Lak, and 3 in BKK at the end. We felt rushed. 3 places was more than we usually do with a 2 1/2 week holiday...usually we do 2 places, and it's perfect. We wanted more this time, and we arrived home tired. Next time we'll be back to taking it really slow. Asia is slower paced than Europe or the US. You have to slow down to see it, to feel it, to experience it. Rushing from temple to temple with some meals and a swim in between isn't relaxing.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. I know you want someone to tell you that your plan is great. It is great...really. But you either need more time to do it, or you need to cut something out so you can really enjoy yourself.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM

I think you'll regret that itinerary. I always figure on losing a full day when I change locations, and consider any time I actually have in the new location on a travel day to be a "bonus."

If you consider how many full days you have in each location, it appears that you have
2 days in Bangkok
2 days in Hanoi
1 day at Halong Bay (almost all travel time)
2 days in Hoi An
2 days in Siem Reap

All of your other days are travel days.

I recommend that you pause and reconsider what you really want from your time in SE Asia. Three destinations ia the absolute max you should have in that amount of time.