Honeymoon: 5 nights in Maldives or 6nights in Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure where to go. 5nights in Maldives too long? Does it get boring since we are confined to the resort? Staying at the Sheraton Half Moon

6 nights in Bali I know that there are a lot of things to do. But is it that romantic? Staying at the W.
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM

what month??

both sound fantastic
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

December 30th to January 5th
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM

i am not aware of the weather during that time, but this might help you decide as well.
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM

I've not been to the Maldives so I can't give you a personal comparison, but I believe that the Bali experience would be very different. It really depends on how you visualize your holiday.

Is Bali romantic? I sure think so, but it's lively and interesting, not remote and deserted, though if you stay in a villa you can withdraw or interact as you prefer.

The W is a newish resort in the international hip resort style. Fun, young and trendy, but not particularly Balinese. It's in a good area, a short taxi drive from some of Bali's best restaurants, shops, spas, clubs.

The beach is wide, sandy and walkable, with splendid sunsets. The surf directly in front of the resort can be treacherous, so if you want to swim in the sea you'll need to walk about a kilometer to a calmer area. The pool is spacious, the spa is space age and the restaurants are caverous but good. I haven't seen the villas, but regular rooms have good ocean views.

Basically, W wouldn't be my first choice for a Bali honeymoon, but I'm guessing your decision may be tied into a Starwood discount. If you can, try to spend a few days in the Ubud area, soaking up the nature and culture. This is where you get the magical, mystery Balinese experience.

The weeks surrounding New Year's are the busiest time of year in Bali. Restaurants are full and everything's on overload. You'll get some rain at that time of year and on the ocean storms are common. The resorts keep their beach fronts clean, but the high winds and surf wash up a lot of undesireables.

New Year's Eve has become a major event in Bali, especially the beach areas, and it's celebrated enthusiastically. The W will have a big blow out with copious fireworks. It will be costly.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Because of of logistcs in getting to one of the niver Nothern Atolls in the Maldives it does not pay to not go for less than 7 nighs because you really only get 6 full days out of it. But the prices are 40%-60% more in the Maldives based on your selection.