HK + which beach resort?

Search

HK + which beach resort?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK + which beach resort?

3 days after arriving back from our trip to KL and Borneo and we're already thinking about where to go for our next holiday in Asia. It probably won't be for 2 or 3 years, but we like to plan ahead

So, we've already decided that we want to return for our 4th visit to HK for the first week, but can't decide where to go from there for around 10 days. We would like a beach resort, 4-5 star hotel, not TOO touristy and no more than 3-4 hours from HK, with several daytrips out of the hotel and good snorkelling.

We thought maybe a Thai island, but that would probably mean having to change planes in BKK - i.e. a long, drawn-out transfer. Can anyone offer any suggestions please? I would love to visit Angkor Wat. How about Vietnam?

Thanks

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Any sugestions anyone, please?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:00 PM

There are some flights I believe that fly direct from some Asian cities and other places to Phuket without going to Bangkok first . Maybe check with your airline?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM

As far as I know, you can fly direct from Hong Kong to Cebu (Philipines), Phuket (Thailand) and Bali (Indonesia).
Old May 1st, 2004, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

As we plan to return to HK for a 4th visit, we would like to combine it with somewhere new and we've already been to Bali, so that's out. Phuket seems a bit over-developed for us and the terrorism, kidnappings and political upheaval issues put us off the Philipines.

I've had a look at various airline schedules and it looks as though Angkor Wat is a bit impractical for this trip, given our other 2 requirements of HK + beach.

I've currently got 2 ideas and would appreciate any comments or input. The first is to fly from HK to Ho Chi Minh City and spend a couple of days there before going on to Nha Trang - I've seen some good reviews of the Ana Mandara Resort on Fodors and from their website it seems to be just what we're looking for in terms of a beach resort.

Alternatively, Cathay fly from HK to Colombo and Sri Lanka is somewhere I've fancied visiting for a long time now. It's a long transfer (7-8 hours) but would cut down on our journey time going home, so worth considering.

Any comments or alternatives please?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:17 PM

In terms of direct flights, there are Phuket, Bali and Cebu as others have pointed out. For certain months of the year, there is also a direct flight to Langkawi. One other option is Bintan next to Singapore. Unless you want to change flights, I think those are the main options.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:28 PM

I think the time of the year will greatly affect your choices, because of monsoons. So, it is important to know what time you will be making this trip.

As for Langkawi, usually there are direct flights during July and August, Christmas and Chinese New Year (Cathay Pacific).

Sri Lanka is a nice place if it means going in the direction home. But again, you have to know when you are going and if it's going to be rainy season there.