Search

HK question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK question

Wanted to know the suggested way to get from the airport to the BP International hotel.

Do you recommend the airport express, or go by bus?

Also wondered about leaving HK - is arriving at airport 2 hrs early enough time?

Thanks very much

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Personally, I'd take the A22 bus (NOT A21 like other people may suggest - they don't know better!)

Get off at the VERY FIRST stop after it gets to the city, "Shanghai Street @ Jordan Road". It's 0.2 mile from the bus stop to BP International - you cross the busy Jordan Road and walk down the narrow Shanghai Street to Austin Rd.

It's not the prettiest area in Hong Kong, but it's safe and fairly easy unless you have heavy luggage.

A22 costs HK$39, runs every 15 minutes. Takes just over 30 minutes from Airport to your stop.

---

If you take the Airport Express, it's HK$90. They have a free K5 shuttle, but that runs only every 24 minutes (i.e. ~every other train), and BP International is the last stop.

If you want to get to the hotel ASAP, then you may want to take AE, then switch to a taxi (cheap, short HK$20 ride).
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM

As for your second question, yes, 2 hours is enough. I usually get there around 2-2.5 hours for flights back to the US.

For most airlines, you can also check-in and drop bags at the Kowloon or Hong Kong AE stations, if you also then ride the train to the airport. In that case, you only need to get to the AE station about 2 hours before flight time.

---

Website for the Cityflyer bus is www.citybus.com.hk.

Website for the AE is www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_intro.htm
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much - really appreciate your advice.

All the best.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM

While we're on the subject, can some recommend ways to get from Macau airport to the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel in Hong Kong?

From what I've gathered so far, I think I will need to first get from the airport to the Macao Maritime Ferry Terminal. Not sure if this is a bus, taxi or other? Then I belive I need to get on the TurboJet ferry to the Macao Ferry Terminal on Hong Kong island. I noticed this is connected to Sheung Wan staion on the MTR. Perhaps I take this MTR 2 or 3 stops to Wan Chai MTR statyion, which is supposedly 5 minutes walk from the hotel. My wife and I will have one large bag each + my breifcase & her purse.

I do know this hotel isn't in an ideal location, but it's all I can manage with my Marriott points.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM

megamiles - On the BP International's website is a location map. Look straight north from the hotel, and you'll see the Jordan Road/Shanghai Street junction.

The A22 bus goes west to east from the airport, and because vehicles go on the left in HK, the bus stop is on the north side of the Jordan Rd, a few steps before the Shanghai St junction.

After getting off the bus, you'll walk forward (east) to the junction, then cross Jordan Road and continue south on Shanghai St.

---

deptrai -

It may be 5 minutes from the official MTR exit to the Renaissance, but it's at least 10+ minutes from the train, via many escalators and then a non-a/c, dusty walkway over Gloucester Rd to the hotel.

I highly suggest taking a taxi from the Macau Ferry Terminal to the Renaissance. Fairly cheap. HK$30 or so, I'll say.

From Macau Airport to ferry pier, also take a taxi. There may be buses, but buses in Macau take extremely circuitous routes that waste all your time, and you may have trouble getting on with a luggage. Also fairly cheap ride. 50MOP or less.