Search

HK itinerary - how does this look?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK itinerary - how does this look?

Folks:

I have composed the following itinerary for my 3 days in HK and just wanted an opinion from HK experts (I am staying in Tsim Sha Tsui, in Kowloon).

Day 1: Start off with Victoria Peak and then move on to exploring Wan Chai, commercial district, Boham Strand & Man Mo Temple. Make it back to Kowloon by 8PM to watch the light & sound show at Victoria Harbour. Then, make my way to the night market at Temple Street.

Day 2: Take a ferry at Central to Lantau Island to check out the gigantic Po Lin Buddha. Then, take the MRT back to Kowloon and stop at the Ten Thousand Buddhas Temple and Wong Tai Sin temple. Spend the evening on HK Island or at the markets in Kowloon (Bird Market, etc.).

Day 3: See the Museum of Art in Kowloon and hop over to Hong Kong Island to see anything missed on day 1 (Central Market or Hong Kong Park, etc.). Also, considering a trip to Stanley on the double-decker bus. Finish the evening on Victoria Peak again, this time taking in the night view.

----------------------------

What do you think, folks? I am not really interested in shopping, other than souvenirs, but cultural points of attraction are a big priority.

Anything that I left out? I am really wondering about this Stanley idea - is it worth it?

Many, many thanks. Will post a report when I get back.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM

It's a good itinerary. Hong Kong isn't a very big place, so sometimes just do whatever you feel like.

The Ten Thousand Buddha Monastery is in Shatin, which requires several switches on the MTR and KCR train, and a hike up a hill. I am not sure if it's worth the trouble. Instead, go to the new Chi Lin Nunnery - which has beautiful architecture. It's close to the Diamond Hill MTR, just one stop east of Wong Tai Sin, or about a 10-minute walk.

Besides the Museum of Art, also go to the Museum of History in Tsim Sha Tsui East. All musuems only charge HK$10 for admission, so you don't need to feel bad for just browsing through.

About Stanley, a lot of people go there for shopping. I don't shop, I don't even go to the market, but I still love the place. It's pretty, and there's the reconstructed Murray House - a large British colonial building that was moved stone by stone from Central - with several restaurants. Have a beer at the beer garden at King Ludwig, which is the balcony overlooking the bay. I highly recommend it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:10 PM

stanley is strictly for shopping but the ride out there is very worthwhile...
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM

Sounds a good itinerary and I second the suggestion re Museum of the History of Hong Kong...it is one of the best I've ever seen. Make sure you have a look at the view from inside or in front of the Intercontinental by day but especially at night. Have a great time!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for answering, folks.

Can't wait!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:12 PM

The ride up and over the hills and down into Stanley is one of the three great trips in Hong Kong, IMO, the other two being the Peak Tram and the Star Ferry. Stanley is fun for souvenir shopping for gifts, they have nice framed prints and old photographs of Hong Kong that make nice mementos and are not expensive. There are several good restaurants along the waterfront and as mentioned above there is Murray House at the end of the waterfront. Take the 6 or 6A bus and sit up top near the front. Sit on the right side if possible for a slightly better view. Try to avoid going on a weekend if you can, as buses are quite crowded then, but if you have to go on a weekend, to ensure a good seat, board the bus at the Exchange Square bus terminus in Central where the bus starts, you can wait for an empty bus if you want. (Do NOT take the 6X bus which goes through Aberdeen Tunnel, or you will miss 90% of the fun and scenic part of the ride.)

Since you like sights/culture more than shopping, I would suggest breaking the trip up by stopping at Repulse Bay. The beach is really very pretty and the Life Saving Society has a temple at one end which is worth a visit. Repulse Bay is a huge, curving bay with a number of high-rise apartment blocks lining it, including a famous one with a square hole in the middle, that is how you will know you have arrived at Repulse Bay, you can also ask a fellow passengers (stops are not announced or noted on message boards as they are on the MTR; you could also count the stops based on the posted schedule at each stop). You will come around a curve and descend into the bay and the bus will stop. Get off the bus and go across the street and find your way down to the beach. Keeping the water on your right, walk to the end of the beach to the temple here. You can walk around and when you have seen enough, walk back to the bus stop and continue to Stanley. There are some fast food restaurants in Repulse Bay as well as the Verandah Restaurant across the street in the Repulse Bay apartments (the building with the hole) if you want to have a meal or tea. Take a look at http://www.therepulsebay.com/restaurants.html.

For kind of a wow impact, Causeway Bay at around Noon on a weekday or weekend is somewhat amazing in terms of crowds, everyone out for lunch or shopping. There are lots of little shops and stalls in the Jardines Bazaar area which even if you are not a shopper are interesting to see in terms of the designer items on offer in bins. A great way to observe Causeway Bay and Wan Chai in general is to take the tram and sit upstairs.

Also, IMO Wan Chai is a bit more colorful and interesting on weekdays when the evening market stalls are open, they start around 5 pm and go to maybe 8 pm. These are in narrow mostly car-free lanes and streets. Some stalls are open during the day, but the markets aren't as full. They are open on Saturdays and Sundays all day as well so weekends are good for this. Try the streets between Queens Road East and Johnston Road esp Amoy Street, Lee Tung, and Garden Lane. Some of these areas are scheduled for "re-development" so may not be here much longer. There are butchers, live fish, poultry, fruit, veg, flowers, clothing, shoes and general market items. There are also stalls selling incense, paper money and other funeral items. People shop on their way home from work, it is great people watching. You might want to do this one evening rather than the Kowloon night market which is quite touristy and mostly copy watches, bags, DVDs and toys. Is the bird market open at night? I have only been during the day, so don't know for sure; I assume a guidebook gives correct opening hours.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:36 PM

To me, the most amazing ride in Hong Kong is New Lantao Bus #21 from Tung Chung MTR to Ngong Ping (= Po Lin Monastery = Big Buddha). One-lane road over a pass between the 2nd and 3rd highest peak of HK, and the final amazing climb onto Ngong Ping.

[KMB Bus #51 over Route Twisk comes in 2nd. Hikers can get off at Tseum Kam Gap and hike up the tallest peak of HK (Tai Mo Shan at over 900m).

Another cool bus ride is New World Bus #9 from Shau Kei Wan MTR to the beach at Shek O on the SE "leg" of HK Island.]

Also, don't forget the try the HK Tramway along the northern part of HK Island. It's often crowded, but climb up to the upper level - you will soon get a seat. It's slow, but you can really see the street lives of Hong Kong.

As for the buses to Stanley, while 260 and 6X goes over the Aberdeen Tunnel, it also passes by Deep Water Bay, and rejoin the 6/6A route just before Repulse Bay. Not as exciting, but I'd say you only miss about 60% of the ride, not 90%. You may want to take 6/6A one-way, 6X/260 the other. [260 is the express, which costs more and also usually runs by single decker bus, not the double decker.]
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks, that's great.

Wheels up in three days!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Oh, I just looked up Citybus' website for their Stanley service. Now, the only bus that goes over Wong Ngai Chung Gap is the original #6. 6A, 6X and 260 all take the Aberdeen Tunnel/Deep Water Bay route.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

So I will take the #6 bus then.

Thanks.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
chinovice

Cicerone - Lots 'n lots of good info. Thanks. One problem - The url you gave for the repulse bay restaurant site gets this message: "This page is not available on our server". Do you have another?

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:09 AM

The website for The Repulse Bay is correct. Make sure you don't put the period at the end.

The Repulse Bay is run by the Peninsula Group. And the afternoon tea at Verandah is a great alternative to the long lines for tea at the Pen.