Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

HK: Airport Express/Kowloon Station question

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flight into Hong Kong arrives around 10 p.m. I will then have to pick up checked luggage and exchange some money.

According to the airport website, it looks like I will have no trouble catching the Airport Express to Kowloon Station (service runs until 12:52 a.m.), but I may miss the last shuttle from Kowloon Station to the YMCA-Salisbury (service runs only until 11:10 p.m.)

My question is: If I take the Airport Express to Kowloon Station and miss the last shuttle, what's the easiest way of getting to the YMCA? Is it easy to get a taxi around Kowloon Station at that time of night? Can I walk it? (I have relatively light luggage, but I'm a bit concerned about safety since I will be traveling alone.)

Would I be better off just taking a taxi directly from the airport to the YMCA-Salisbury?

Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

It looks like another possibility is to take the A21 bus to New World Centre, Salisbury Road. Is this a safe, efficient option?

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM

1. Lots of taxis available at Kowloon station.

2. No, it's too far to walk.

3. Yes, A21 is totally fine. But get off at Stop #14 Middle Road, the one before New World Center. It'll save you quite a bit of money, and it's still pretty fast especially late at night.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM

What about the door-to-door coach service from airport to hotel advertised on the Salisbury Y's website for $130 HKD?

If the train and shuttle bus combo costs $90 HKD, then the difference of $40 HKD is not a very large price difference if it gives you peace of mind about not missing the last shuttle.

What do people think of that option? I have taken the train/shuttle combo to the Salisbury Y three times with satisfaction. The train is quite well run although the shuttle part moves slowly in traffic and you do need to hoist your luggage again when transferring to the shuttle.

Is the door-to-door coach an appealing option?

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both of you for the advice! It's looking to me like A21 is the cheapest option, but I would love to hear from anyone who has taken the door-to-door coach service.

rkkwan--I don't understand why getting off at Stop #14 would be cheaper. Isn't it just $33 for the bus fare?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Sorry, I don't mean getting off at #14 will save you money. I meant taking A21 will, compared to the AE.

Those shuttles are also very good. Door-to-door, so no hauling of luggage, and at the time of the day probably as fast as the train.