Hiroshima to Narita

Search

Hiroshima to Narita

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiroshima to Narita

I am trying to figure out how best to conclude my 2-week itinerary for this coming March. I am starting in Tokyo (6 nights), then Kyoto (4 nights) and ending in the Hiroshima/Miyajima area. I have a noontime flight on Day 14 back to Chicago.

I am very paranoid I might miss the Chicago flight (5 seats using frequent flyer miles). But I also want to make the most of my two-week experience.

I have the following questions:

- Are there early morning flights we could take from Hiroshima to Narita on Day 14 (which happens to be Saturday March 24)?

- Is this a relatively "safe" option? What I mean is how reliable is the airline, is the airport prone to fog, are there backup flights in case the first one is cancelled, etc.

- Would rail travel be a better option on Day 14? I assume it's a 5-6 hour trip, which would mean we would need to leave around 4AM!

- If we choose to be more conservative and backtrack on Day 13, would rail travel or air travel be a better option?

- Is there a hotel in Narita you would recommend? How convenient to the airport?

- Is there anything about the Narita area that would merit returning earlier on Day 13 to spend the afternoon/evening in the area?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM

I believe trains don't start till 6AM. You'd need to take the Shinkansen from Hiroshama to Tokyo, then it's a half hour very fast walk in the station to the train to Narita. With your kids, I expect it will take longer.

Then it's another 1.5 hours to the airport.

We took the shinkansen to Tokyo and the train to Narita. Then we booked a hotel for the last night - for exactly the reasons you stated - trying to get our flight would have been nerve racking.

I'd book a nice big American hotel where the kids can swim and get alot of that energy spent before getting on that flight home.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM

-ANA flight from Hiroshima to Narita is the only option if you're travelling on Day14. One morning flight. Hiroshima Airport is about 1hr from City Central on coach.

-If travelling on Day13, you can either fly or take shinkansen. Though my personal preference is to fly given the travel time--your options are better as you can fly into Haneda. Stay in Tokyo and take a train to Narit the following morning.

- You'll be travelling over spring school holiday. Make sure you reserve trains/planes in advance.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Bonjour Famgarrido,

Do you have to be in Tokyo those first 6 days ? If not, have you considered reversing the order of your trip, spending the first days in the Kyoto/Hiroshima area, and the last in Tokyo ? That would mean either spending only one night in Tokyo and leaving for Kyoto the next morning or, if you arrive in Narita early enough, going directly to Kyoto.

You could then spend the last few days in Tokyo and leave in the morning of the 14th.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:26 AM

March timetable isn't officially confirmed yet, but there is normally a daily flight from Hiroshima to Narita, operated by Ibex Airlines on a codeshare with ANA flight 3128 departing 0755, arriving 0925.
There is no guarantee that they will have a standby plane in case of technical faults. Weather conditions cannot be predicted.
I agree you should travel a day earlier and spend the night, either in Tokyo (but it means very early start next day as you need to be at check-in about 3 hours before, so taking N'Express or Keisei no later than 0730) or near airport. There is overcapacity of hotel rooms near Narita and you normally get a good deal. All offer free transport to and from NRT.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Narita has quite a few hotels next to the airport. They all have airport pickup and return - on a regular schedule. They also have a bus that circles the hotels to go into Narita proper and to return to your hotel. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Narita and at another one closer to the city. HI is very western and the other one was much more Japanese. The day I was there they were having Japanese weddings and the people watching was great.

A tip I learned last trip - I booked the hotel at the Tourist Booking counter in Narita (and HI was full which is how I ended up at the other one). When I needed to stay another nite, the hotel raised the rate significantly. They said that was a rate only for the tourist counter. So I countered with 'should I get on the airport bus, go to the airport, and book it again at the tourist counter?

They said, yes I should. And that is how I happened to return to the HI - using their shared airport bus! Sometimes rigidity comes on the scene with the Japanese rules.

I found exploring Narita interesting for a half day. I think you would get a different vantage point for the Japanese experience there.

I also like the security of being close to the airport for departure.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 04:34 AM

That's what we did also.

We did Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima. We left Hiroshima at 9:30 AM and got to our hotel before 4.

Shinkansen to Tokyo, then through the train station to the Narita train. At Narita we caught a cab to our hotel because we had just missed the bus. As I said, we checked in around 3:30.

I liked the security of being a half hour from the aiport on the morning of departure.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I think it is a bad idea to plan to take the train from Hiroshima to Narita on day 14. There is too much chance of making a mistake with the trains and because of the timing you won't have many (if any) backup plans. It would also be a verrrry long day, after riding in trains for 6 hours you would then get on a plan for x hours.

Another reason is the cost.

You are leaving Tokyo on Day 7 and if you took the trains to Narita from Hiroshima on Day 13 then you can use a 7-day JR Pass for all of that travel. You won't need a 14-day pass.

I'd consider flying from HIJ to NRT to connect to a same day flight to Ohare if I was able to get it all on one ticket. You might be able to do that, assuming that you are flying on an ANA or Japan Airlines partner with your FF award tickets. You might have to pay a change fee but that fee could be less than or equal to buying the separate ticket.

I would look into it if my flight from NRT to ORD was actually on ANA or JAL. If the only flight option was to transfer from Tokyo Haneda airport to Narita then I'd just take the train. There would not be much of a time advantage.

Granted, getting 5 people from Hiroshima to NRT on your FF awards might be a longshot, but I thought I'd put the idea out there. I don't know which would be easier: shepherding a group of 5 by train or plane on that trip.

Ok, there is one same-day train option that I would consider but that would mean not using a JR Pass and would involve getting a Nozomi thru train to Shinagawa or Tokyo.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM

In case I wasn't clear: the cost of the change fee for your FF awards (probably $100) is probably less than buying a one-way airline ticket (or train ticket) from Hiroshima to Narita Airport.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. If we did take the JR pass option from Hiroshima to Narita, how would the timing for the trains work out? Would we still be able to take a shinkansen? Where would we switch trains?

Are JR passes sold in 1-day increments?
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM

From Hiroshima you would get a shinkansen to Shin Osaka where you would transfer to another shinkanen to go to Shinagawa station or Tokyo station where you would connect to a Narita Express train to JR Narita Airport station.

There is no 1-day JR Pass. There are other passes but none of them would be useful for your itinerary.

The transfer at Shinosaka involves going down a flight of stairs, down a corridor and then up stairs or escalator to the other platform. I've made this connection with a 2-minute connection time (maybe it was 4 minutes, but I think it was 2).

A previous poster indicated that the connection at Tokyo was not as quick and involved more effort. emd made the connection at Shinagawa and found it to be easy/easier, I believe.