Hill Stations

Jun 27th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Hill Stations

Which Hill Station destinations are good in summers - south India or north India?
Jun 29th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Ask Mr. VP Singh at: www.legendsandpalaces.com
Jun 30th, 2019, 01:53 PM

Shimla is nice in the summer; a welcome relief from the heat down below, and usually lots of stuff going on.
Jun 30th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Shimla is nice, it's true, been there for relaxed stays twice, including a wild ride in the shower during the 2005 Kashmir earthquake. But I think I may like Darjeeling even better as it's close to other places I enjoy, like Kalimpong & Sikkim. And the mountain views are better in Darjeeling.
Jul 1st, 2019, 09:51 PM

Hill Stations

North India has beautiful hill stations. Palampur in Himachal Pradesh is one of them. From charming and beautiful panoramic views of the mountainside, valleys, every moment in Palampur is perfectly delightful.
Jul 5th, 2019, 03:30 AM

North India has some of the best Hill stations and they are all good in summer.
1. Shimla - Travelling Shimla is one of the best ways to spend your vacation. Come summer and you won’t regret giving up into the charm of one of the best hill stations of Himachal Pradesh.
2. Manali - Manali has been blessed with extraordinary beauty. Besides offering beautiful sightseeing places, Manali is also famous for adventure sports like skiing, hiking, mountaineering, paragliding, rafting, trekking, kayaking, and mountain biking.
3. Nainital - The gem of Uttarakhand – Nainital is a charming hill station that sits prettily at the green foothills of the Kumaon ranges in the Himalayas. Perched at an altitude of 1938 m above the sea level, Nainital is named after the very popular Naini Lake.
4. Mussoorie - Titled as “Queen of Hills”, Mussoorie is one of the popular hill stations and the best tourist places near Delhi. Set in the beautiful locales of Uttarakhand, Mussoorie Tour Packages is equally famous among families, friends and honeymoon couples.
Jul 7th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Good article about some lesser-known hill stations:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes..._travel&wpmm=1
Jul 8th, 2019, 11:32 PM

Nothing better than ladakh.
Jul 13th, 2019, 02:20 AM

Hill Station

Kufri is a small and best hill station in Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh state in India.visit this hill Station and enjoy your trip.
Jul 13th, 2019, 06:02 PM

I am reading "The British in India", a fairly massive tome by David Gilmour and have just reached a section on hill stations. Some of the places being suggested here (and in the WaPo article I linked) are not hill stations used by the British governments, which is what I think of when I see the term. (And, of course, Ladakh is a province, not a station of any kind).

He says that the central and provincial governments spent half the year in hill stations. The imperial government went to Simla, a full 1,200 mile trek from Calcutta, where it was well away from the country it was governing.

The Bengal government went to Darjeeling.
Madras went to Ootacamund.
North-Western/United Provinces went to Naini Tal.
Central Provinces went to Pachmathi.
Burma went to Maymyo
Bombay went to Poona until it got too hot and Mahabaleshwar until it got too wet.
Punjab went to Simla, Murree and Dalhousie.