Hiking in Hong Kong

Search

Hiking in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking in Hong Kong

There is a great deal of information about hikes around Hong Kong but little that addresses the best way to get to trailhead without renting a car or signing up for a "tour." Neither option holds any interest yet we'd like to easily spend each morning out hiking in the hills around the city including islands. We will be at the W. any recommendations for can't miss hikes? We love the beaches as well but will be in Phuket following, so the beaches are nice but not critical for this leg of our vacation. Thank you.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:21 PM

You can get to almost everywhere in HK by public transportation. Most trailheads are accessible by buses and minibuses, and/or ferries. If not, they will be by taxis. I have no idea where in the world do you read you need to rent a car or join a tour. That's borderline ridiculous.

Having said that, the W isn't the most convenient for taking public transport, and it's also not that close to hiking trails. I'll let others recommend the trails for you, and once you've decided
on some, I can tell you how to get there if you're not taking a taxi.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Three trails that are easily accessible from the Hong Kong side of the Star Ferry are Bowen Path, Black's Link and Peak-to-Pok Fu Lam. These are all easy walking trails with excellent views.

You can find information on line on how to get to the starting points, either by taxi or public bus. Or you can walk up to Bowen Path.

These may be more urban and less remote than you're thinking, but they're charming and scenic and a nice way to spend a few hours.
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:24 AM

Many visitors hike up Shanghai street for about a mile, then turn and hike down Reclamation. Then retreat to the pub.
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Cicerone's reports have always made me wish I had more time in Hong Kong:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...d-the-peak.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...l-night-ma.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...eels-alm-1.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...agons-back.cfm
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:52 AM

There is no trail here that requires a car to get to and from a trail head. In some cases you can't park anywhere near the trail head as the trails are in county parks. For Lantau Island, only residents are allowed to drive on about 90% of the island, so you can only drive a car to Tung Chung, park there and then take a bus to reach a trail (some trails start/end in Tung Chung so I suppose a rental car would work in that case, but taking the MTR to Tung Chung would be just as easy). While a car certainly saves time over public transport to get to some areas, it really isn't necessary and for someone not familiar with the roads here (or driving on the left) it probably is not worth the time, trouble or expense. (I would not want to drive to and from the W, for example.)

Joining an organized tour like http://www.kayak-and-hike.com/advent...lore/Home.html may not be a bad idea as they take care of everything (I have done kayak trips with them), but it is certainly not at all required. You can take a bus to or near every trail here; sometimes you have to walk in a bit to get to a trailhead, and in that case a taxi can be helpful as they can often go right to the trailhead if a bus or mini-bus does not. For example, if you want to do the wonderful MacLehose Trail Stage #2, I would suggest taking a taxi either from Sai Kung town, or from the bus stop at the entry to Sai Kung Country Park, and thereby skippinig Stage #1 which is just the flat road along the reservoir which would add a couple of hours to your walk but not a whole lot in terms of enjoyment, IMO. You can also skip half of Stage #2 by taking a taxi from Sai Kung town or the entry to Sai Kung Park to the end of Sai Wan Road and start the walk just above lovely Tai Long Wan beach.

But before giving specifics on trails, of which there are dozens of options, can you tell me the following:

1. You hiking level (e.g. do you mind a lot of uphill or do you want mostly on the flat). Note that it is quite hard to avoid at least some uphill in Hong Kong, as it is mostly hills.

2. Length of time you have to do the hike. Some of the very best hikes here will require some time to get to. Lantau Island, for example, requires about an hour each way on the MTR and then a bus just to reach trail heads, but are worth it once you do. Same with the lovely Sai Kung area. However, something like the Dragon's Back on Hong Kong island can fit into a morning schedule pretty easily by taking the MTR to Chai Wan and then a taxi for 10-15 minutes.

3. Date of your trip. It is VERY hot and humid now through mid-October so unless you are experienced and fit hikers there are some trails I would not recommend as they could literally kill you (and have killed others in the past). Shade is hard to find, and sometimes you have to give up views if you want shade.

However from November through early March, with time and patience, most any trail here is doable by anyone.

Bowen Road mentioned above, is totally flat and paved the entire way. While it gives some very nice views, it is more of a jogging trail and a place to walk dogs and take a stroll than a place I would consider for a "hike". Same with Black's Link (which has a little bit of an incline at the beginning and a bit of a downhill toward the end (it offers almost no shade). The Peak to Pokfulam depends on how you do it as to the type of trail you will have; there is one trail that is dirt about half the way; two of the other ways are virtually all downhill and are paved. The dirt trail offers the best views, but the route via the Aberdeen cemetery is the most interesting, IMO (it does not technically go to Pokfulam, it goes to Aberdeen).

I have written directions for many hikes in Hong Kong, with photos in most casers, so if you want to send me an email at [email protected], I could send you some suggestions; otherwise I am happy to post some suggestions here if you would prefer.