Reload this Page >

Hiking in Hong Kong

Search

Hiking in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Peter

Hiking in Hong Kong

From my research, I realize there are certain hiking trails in Hong Kong in the country parks or Lantau Island. Anyone tried those traails before? Any comments about the experience?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:20 AM
momrath

surprisingly, hong kong has GREAT hiking trails. there are interconnected routes on hong kong island, in kowloon, new territories and most of the outer islands. difficulty can be an easy stroll of a couple of hours to a trek of several days. the views overlooking the south china sea are magnificent. there are several books on the subject that you can pick up in hk. one caveat, some are not recommended during the rainy season.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:05 AM
deej

While Hong Kong is known for its cityscapes, there are numerous trails and hikes within Hong Kong, ranging from fairly easy to extremely challenging. A number of my friends like to tackle parts of the Macelhose (sp?) trail (used in the annual Trailwalker run -- extremely challenging). I personally like walking around Tai Tam reservoir or Pokfulam reservoir up to the Peak. Lamma Island also has a nice walk with nice beaches and interesting scenery.<BR><BR>As the previous poster mentioned, most bookstores will carry books detailing some of the hikes in Hong Kong.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Peter

Thank you for the replies. I will try to put the activity into my itinery.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Ross

I'm a long-time HK resident, and hike frequently. The other posters here are right: HK is actually an excellent place to hike, with a great variety of trails and lots of great views. HK is surprisingly hilly and even wild outside the urban areas.<BR><BR>A couple of tips:<BR><BR>Hiking here is all right in the early autumn, superb in the late autumn and most days in winter and early spring, and then less and less practical as spring turns into summer. It's just too hot and rainy here in the summer for enjoyable hiking.<BR><BR>I think by far the best trails are in Lantau Island and in the Sai Kung and North-east New Territories regions. You'll understand these terms once you've got some decent HK maps. The hikes on HK island are all right for nice mountain/city views, but they're generally quite tame. Another spectacular hike is to go up and over Lion Rock, which will give you some of the most commanding views of HK you'll find.<BR><BR>Get the Hong Kong countryside series maps for the hikes you want to do. You can buy these from government publication centers in Queensway on HK island, near pacific place shopping mall; and from a sort of kiosk on Nathan Road in Yau Ma Tei. <BR><BR>