Sheraton vs. Marriott in Bangkok

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:14 AM
Diane

Sheraton vs. Marriott in Bangkok

Planning a trip for November; first time in Bangkok. Want to stay in a hotel along the river. We can get a room at the Sheraton with a discount coupon for $100 a night or at the Marriott for $100 (garden view) through Marriott's website. Any thoughts on which would be a better choice? The Unfortunately, the Oriental and the Peninsula are both too expensive for us.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:40 AM
Kathy

We just returned from staying at the Marriott Resort in Bangkok. It was very nice and the staff is great. The river view is so pretty that I can't imagine wanting to settle for the garden view.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:51 AM
Mike

I have seen Peninsula for $124 that includes tax, with tax the 100 will be $117. I'd go for the Peninsula.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:38 PM
Diane

Mike, where did you see the Peninsula for $124?

Also, I can cash in some Sheraton points for a couple of nights. Would it be better to stay at the Sheraton on the river or the Sheraton Grande downtown? Both are the same level for point redemption.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:20 PM
Kathie

Every room at the Sheraton Royal Orchid has a river view. The river view is great, and I'd opt for that.

If you have extra $$ or extra Sheraton points, go for the Towers... 24 hour butler service, breakfast in the morning and drinks and hors d'ouevres at night included. It won out over the Oriental for best service a few years back....

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:34 PM
Mike

www.circleofasia.com

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:06 PM
pghparothd

We have been to Bangkok twice. Stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton the second time for 9 days. Excellent views, excellent hotel and superb location. The river taxi dock is right at the hotel. It can't be beat for getting down to market or Palace areas, also side canals. The traffic is better/no worse than from hotels furtherin town/Sukhumvit Rd area. Marriot was a little farther out, so more traffic/less convenient.