Heritage Suites in Siem Reap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering 3 nights at Heritage Suites in August and would be interested in views from those who have stayed there. We're looking for a luxury hotel and it looks great on the website, but would love some personal observations. Our other option is Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor. HDLP does not interest us.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM

I'm trying to figure out where this place is. It seems to be on the 'wrong' side of the river, a fair distance from the main restaurant & shopping area, so unless you're the type who likes to eat every meal in your hotel, you might want to consider that.

Another place you might want to consider, which gets good reviews here, is the Victoria.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM

I can't work it out either - Heritage Suites is a new one on me - but it looks really nice on the website. I think Michael is right - it's a destination hotel; you'll enter into the bubble, stay in that bubble, then leave.

But if it's a GOOD bubble, there's nothing wrong with that at all. For some people simply seeing the temples is quite enough. After a day soaking up all that wonder, our brains need a calm, soothing spot. No charging around in a tuk tuk looking for dinner, just elegant surroundings, smooth service and good food. Then more temples...

That's a perfectly good way to travel. So is zooming around in a tuk tuk.

I think by choosing a 'destination' hotel you make your choice about how you want to approach your whole stay in Siem Reap. Heritage Suites looks fine to me. Very nice indeed.

So is Raffles. There you can hover between both extremes.

But, so is a hell-hole down some alleyway in town. Different strokes for different folks.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Do think about what you want in Siem Reap. I liked being able to walk some places from my hotel, it made me feel like I was in Cambodia. There are lots of hotel options in the luxury category. Some are "bubbles' as dogster says, some are not so much (though of course, you can isolate yourself anywhere!).
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these valuable insights. I am completely unfamiliar with the geography of Siem Reap, so the location issue did not even occur to me. We'll have to consider the "bubble" issue and make a decision.