Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Here's our itinerary -- what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After eyeski's recent experience on this forum, I am a bit reticent to post this itinerary, but I really, really do want input from all y'all. I've listed possible hotels -- if you've stayed in any of these places, we'd love to hear your thoughts, or whether there is a better place to stay. We don't have tons of money so we can't do some of the nicest places, but we do splurge on the Imperial for Christmas in Delhi. We have gotten some quotes for a car and driver -- about $400 for the entire trip per person for 4 in a van. Does anyone know if that is a good rate? Should we cut anything out? Its a lot of driving, but we've tried to space it out a bit --and we really don't mind driving and seeing the countryside. We like to stop when we see something interesting!

Day 1: Fly USA to Mumbai (FF ticket on Delta, hence going through Mumbai)
Day 2: Arrive Mumbai; stay Mumbai, Residency Fort Hotel
Day 3: Mumbai, Film City (if we can get in); evening fun at Chowpatty Beach or walk up Mohammed Ali Road; Stay Mumbai
Day 4: Crawford Market/Chor Bazaar; overnight train to Ahmedabad
Day 5: Ahmedabad; morning Old City center walking tour, afternoon drive Ahmedabad to Udaipur; stay Udaipur, Mewar Haveli
Day 6: Udaipur; stay Udaipur
Day 7: Drive to Jodhpur; stop at Ranakpur en route; stay Jodhpur,
Pal Haveli
Day 8: Jodhpur; afternoon Drive from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer; stay Jaisalmer, Monsoon Palace
Day 9: Jaisalmer; stay Jaisalmer
Day 10: Jaisalmer, stay Jaisalmer
Day 11: Drive to Bikaner; stay Bikaner, Hotel Lallgarh Palace
Day 12: Drive to Pushkar; stay Pushkar, Hotel Master Paradise
Day 13: Drive to Jaipur; stay Jaipur, Bissau Palace
Day 14: Jaipur; stay Jaipur
Day 15: Drive from Jaipur to Delhi; stay Delhi, The Imperial (Christmas)
Day 16: Drive to Agra en route visiting Fatehpur Sikri; sunset visit to Taj Mahal; stay Agra, Taj View Hotel
Day 17: Visit Taj Mahal at dawn; train from Agra to Jhansi, drive to Orchha; stay Orchha, Betwa Retreat
Day 18: Early morning drive Orchha to Khajuraho, visit Khajuraho temples; fly to Varanasi; stay Varanasi; A Palace on the River (Rashmi Guest House)
Day 19: Varanasi; stay Varanasi
Day 20: Dawn boat ride down the Ganges; fly to Katmandu, stay Katmandu, Hotel Courtyard
Day 21: Katmandu; stay Katmandu
Day 22: Day trip Bhaktapur, stay Katmandu
Day 23: Fly Katmandu to Mumbai; Mumbai
Day 24: Fly Mumbai to USA
Day 25: Arrive USA

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
CFW

Personally I think you're doing way too much in the time you have. I think you need to go back and cut out at least three places and slow the pace down. Think about what you want to see and do in each place, and then carefully select places that you think will really have interest for you and allow enough time to enjoy each destination rather than racing through. For example, I think it makes no sense to drive all the way from Jaipur to Delhi for one night (Christmas) at the Imperial and then back-track to Agra. Also, if you are on a budget I don't think the Imperial is worth the splurge. Just my opinion.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I'm currently at the Hyatt Regency in Kathmandu and highly recommend it. It's 10 minutes from the airport.
For the rate it's very difficult to match the quality of hotel.

We just spent a few days in Delhi and did a same day drive to Taj Mahal. It was a long day, but worth it.

The driving in India is VERY differnt than North America. It takes 3 times as long to get somewhere in India (and Kathmandu for that matter!)

Pad your itinerary with a fair bit of free time. You'll need it and appreciate it!

This is my first time in India/Nepal and things work way slower than we're use to in Canada and the US.

I also checked out the website indiamike.com for some insight (but Fodors is my first love!
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM

Hello Venture,
Your itinerary is perfect. I would suggest you to eliminate one night in Delhi as you can celebrate your Christmas in Jaipur or Agra. There is no mean to go Delhi only for Christmas. Reg. hotels I would suggest you stay at Palace on Ganges, it is located at assi ghat. As palace on river is located at very narrow alley. At the time of check-in or check-out, you have take a long walk with your luggage to reach your car.
Rest of the things are up to the mark.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM

The suggestions are as follows:-
1. You should change some hotels because these are not up to mark. First is in Jaipur Bisau palace. Off course in the website it looks very beautiful but still it is not comfortable, the bed’s are too thin in most of the rooms.
2. According to the other hotels you are staying Mewar haveli is not the best option, you can try with Jagat Niwas palace.
3. You should have a great experience to stay in the Thar Desert near Jaisalmer.
4. Delhi would be not the best place to celebrate Christmas, other side if you are going to visit Agra and Fatehpur sikri then Delhi is not worth to visit since both towns are Mogul architecture and most of the historical buildings are almost same. It is too much crowded town. Since from Kathmandu to Mumbai there is no direct flight so you have to go via Delhi so it will be better for you to visit Delhi at that time. In this way you will not loose your time to go Delhi two times.
5. At Orchha you can try to stay at Amar Mahal Hotel.
6. Rashmi guest house in Varanasi is not recommended to stay, they just have few rooms with Ganges view with very basic facilities and it is over priced, you can try with Palace on Ganges, it is a beautiful hotel.

Rest of the things are fine. Wish you all the best for your travel.
Yes, there is some useful tips for your travel if you want you can just have a look one message posted by me based on my practical travel experience in India & Nepal, with subject as :- Some useful help for India travel………
Wish you all the best for your India travel.
Thanks
Raju India.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Raju. Good plan to visit Delhi on way back to Bombay. Where do you suggest to stay in Jaipur, since Bissau is nt up to par?
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM

We stayed at the Fort Residency in Mumbai and really liked it.

In Udaipur, also very good and convenient, we stayed at
Jaiwana Haveli (formerly the Caravanseri)
14 Lalghat, Udaipur 313001, India
Mobile: (Yash) (0) 94141 68151
E-mail [email protected]

This is where we stayed in Jaipur. The hotel is owned by Colonel and Mrs Singh. It was very nice with a pool,but I would not recommend eating dinner there. It is a short taxi ride to the center which was perfect for us since the nights were quiet.

Megh Niwas
C/9, Jai Singh Highway, Bani Park. Jaipur 302 016
Mobile 9193145 07008
E-mail [email protected]
Website www.meghniwas.com
Tel. 91141 2202034, 2202035, 220 2036

The colonel owns a fabulous camp in Pushkar where we stayed during the Camel Fair. Am not sure how different. Pushkar is when the fair is not on. I would probably spend more time in one of the other cities

If my calculations are correct you have a van and a driver for 11 days,
that is $145 a day. That seems on the high side to me, especially since you are not driving every day.

Check on www.indiamike.com somone there should be able to advise you.