Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help with Thailand/Cambodia/Kuala Lumpur itinerary- going in 2 weeks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I know this is last minute but my husband and I are going to Thailand, Cambodia and KL, Malaysia in 2 weeks and we need help planning what to do and with getting a guide.

Below is a breakdown of our trip:
Dec 23 - Bangkok
Dec 24,25,26 - Angkor Wat
Dec 27,28 - Kuala Lumpur
Dec 29,30,31, Jan 1,2 - Phuket
Jan 3,4 - Bangkok
Jan 5,6,7,8,9 - Chiang Mai
Jan 10,11,12,12 - Bangkok

We have quite a bit of days in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Phuket. Can someone please help suggest what we can do?

How do we take a day trip from Phuket to Phi Phi?

With the 5 days we have in Chiang Mai, is it feasible to get a driver/guide and go to Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle? Can anyone recommend a guide? For a trip to Lampang, can I just go to Chiang Mai and get a driver?

Can anyone recommend a guide for Angkor Wat? Can we just go there and arrange a guide or should we arrange one from here?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM

one thing to do in chiang mai is to attend the very special flora show celebrating the 60th anniversary of the kings' assention to the throne...it is an international flower show...

hire a guide for a day or two in bangkok.....i prefer either cherry ([email protected]) or tong, both of whom we spent some time with last month....they are both fantastic...it may be too late to schedule either of them however as they are well booked in advance...
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I replied to your similar request about a guide in Angkor Wat on your other posting so I will leave that out of this reply.

First of all, if you are coming from the USA, I would spend more than just one night in Bangkok upon your arrival unless you are immune to jet lag! I know that I wouldn't want to be heading back to the airport again after flying so long to get to Bangkok.

I am also curious why you would be heading back to Bangkok between Phuket and Chiang Mai? Depending on where you are staying in Bangkok, it may be quite far from the airport. Instead of spending that time in Bangkok in the middle of your trip, I would suggest you move those days to the beginning of your trip.

If you plan on going to the Royal Flora Exhibit in Chiang Mai, you can buy the daily tickets for 1/2 price in advance. Make sure you print the ticket and take it with you. Here is the web address:

http://www.royalfloraexpo.com/index.asp

The single day tickets are 200 baht at the door or 100 baht in advance over the internet. If you buy a multi day pass it is 400 baht with no discount online.

I went in the morning one day, on a VERY hot day in Chiang Mai in November. I felt no need to go back a second day. I spent about 4 hours there and thought I was going to melt! The bug exhibit was one of my favorite things. I recommend you bring an umbrella to shade you from the sun if it is hot.

You might want to wait before planning a trip to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai. I have been to Chiang Mai twice this year for a total of 10 days and I still haven't done/seen everything I would like to. However, you may spend a few days there and want to get out. There are people that love Chiang Mai (me!) and others that don't.

I think 7 nights in Bangkok is a good amount of time. It is such a big city with so much to see and do. Just keep to the sky train, river taxi and air conditioned metered taxis. There are many things to do and see along the sky train and river taxi.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM

This board has a wealth of information. Start by reading trip reports that include your destinations. There are dozens that have been posted just in the last month or two. Take notes on activities, sights, shopping, restaurants, etc that interest you.

Buy yourself some good guidebooks.

You really don't need guides in most places. You might choose to have a guide at Angkor, some people like a guide for a day or two in Bangkok. In some palces you may want to hire a driver, such as Chiang Mai.

Do you have all of your plane tickets? If not, recognize that you may have to change your plans. Flights in and out of Siem Reap have been very full for months.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM

We spent 5 days in Chiang Mai last year and used a Karen guide (who speaks great English) named Chaiya -- cell 019/989/461 He works with a driver (named Donut) and his rates were very reasonable; he is also incredibly knowledgeable about all the hill tribes as he's a member of one. I just would not do the elephant ride with him -- if you want to see elephants there are posts on this forum about a preserve that sounds much better as an experience.

We did not go to Chiang Rai but you could definitely do this, and you could plan it when you're there as euro suggested.

Have a great time.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Don't try going all the way to the Golden Triangle from Chiang Mai with a driver as a day trip. It is too far and too much driving.

In northern Thailand, you might want to research Pai and Mae Hong Son. Both are within (long) driving distance of Chiang Mai... but again, not as day trips.