Help with Southeast Asia Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Vietnam and Cambodia in May. At the end of the trip, the tour company has added on two days in Bangkok and two and one-half days in Hong Kong. As we will likely return to Hong Kong one day as part of a China trip, would we be wiser to change the stays to three days in Bangkok and one and one-half days in Hong Kong? From what I am reading about Bangkok, it seems you need a minimum of three days just to see the essential sights. Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM

Yes, add the time in Bangkok. Many on this forum think Bangkok is our favorite city in the world. We will be gald to make suggestions about activities, restaurants, hotels, etc.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

Are you at all tempted to spend the entire 4 1/2 days in Bangkok, making this a SE Asia trip and the next trip a China/Hong Kong trip? There is so much to do in Bangkok that you won't cover in 3 days. I say this as someone who loves Hong Kong -- it is one of my favorite cities -- but you hardly have too much time in Bangkok as it is.

If your flight route necessarily takes you through Hong Kong or you have some other reason for including it on this itinerary, then I agree that a 3 day Bangkok/1 1/2 day Hong Kong split is best.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM

Marya is spot on: if it's possible do 4 1/2 days on Bangkok this trip and catch HK on your next trip to China. If that's not feasible, then 1 1/2 days in HK is enough (and this from someone who lives there) - although you don't say when either of your trips will take place.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

i too favor bkk while you are there, but HK is also a favorite....if you are sure you will return to HK then add bkk for as many days as you can