Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help with Mumbai Hotel choice (night of Holi)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Mumbai at end of our 2 week India trip. Just two nights. But are having trouble deciding whether to stay in Colaba (boutique hotel near where our sightseeing plans will likely have us) or close to the airport (the Hyatt where we have points). We arrive by flight to Mumbai in early afternoon the first day, then have the full second day and evening before our flight departs Mumbai for home at 2:30 am. We don't mind to pay for the two hotel nights wherever we stay to have the use of it right up until we have to leave for the airport. The other consideration is that the night we leave is the night of Holi (or pre-night, not sure how the holiday goes, but the actual Holi day is the next day, not sure when the fun of the color etc actually starts or runs). Considering traffic, the special day, etc. what would others recommend?
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I cannot help you decide which hotel to choose but, having been in India twice during Holi, I suggest you choose the one in which you'll be most comfortable if you decide to hole up for the duration, or if you grow weary of the celebration. I realize some people find it "fun" but I found it a nightmare, the proximity to fireworks as well as the thrown colors, and my experience was that I seemed to be a particular target in the zeal to have visitors (or maybe anyone who appeared reluctant) participate. Fortunately both times my guest houses had restaurants so I could watch from the roofs, the best place for me. Actually, the airport location sounds good to me.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:43 AM

I should mention, the "fun" is not confined to the day of Holi, but also on the days leading up to it. Just be aware so you're in a position to retreat if it gets to be too much.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Stay at the Taj. It's in a perfect location, and will enhance your experience in Mumbai. I hate airport hotels, they're so depressing, so save your Hyatt points for a resort, or for London or Sydney, where they have more value.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CaliforniaLady
. . . I hate airport hotels, they're so depressing . . .
I hate depressing airport hotels, but not all airport hotels are depressing. I stayed in a wonderful hotel in the Cairo airport not long ago and another at DFW more recently. What I hate is trying to get to the airport either early or when I'm unsure about timing. If there's a good airport hotel in those circumstances, or possibly in this situation, they can be both relaxing & a life-saver.

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 09:47 PM

Marriott in Juhu is safe, 5 star and really good. I would highly warn against hotels in Juhu otherwise unless it is a brand name (American brands would be better). There are a lot of seedy hotels in Mumbai and you do not want to land in one of them
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 02:13 AM

Personally I'd choose something near to the Airport. While the festival of Holi in Mumbai is not as boisterous as that of northern India, the traffic can still be pretty erratic. The Taj is indeed fantastic, but I'd rather not take the stress of choosing anything far from the airport.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Dnf

Just spent two nights at the St. Regis before an early morning flight back to the US. it was wonderful and took about 30 mins to get to the airport. They have the most elaborate (included) breakfast buffet I have ever seen!