Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with March 2006 itinerary

Here is what I was thinking.
Fly HNL-BKK
4 nights at Marriott Riverside Spa & Resort
Enough time to dejetlag and get into the SE Asia swing!
Catch plane to Siem Riep
4 nights at ?????? need help here, you all know what I like!
Back to BKK
3 nights at Four Seasons or Oriental (is this place too snooty) meant in a nice way
Close for Linda to shop!
3 nights Sheraton Grande Suk or something better but close to Sukumvit area
Close for Linda to shop
3 nights at the Pen
Love this place!
Then off to Tokyo for 5 to 8 more nights but I’ll figure that out later.
Where can I book all of this at the most preferable rates ?
Do I need a driver in SR?
Should I use the 3 nights at Sheraton to go north to Anatara or is that too ambitious?
All advise is welcome.
Aloha
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:45 PM

Siem Reap you can spend 3 or 4 nights. Re hotels I have stayed at the Pansea (www.pansea.com) and Shinta Mani (www.sanctuaryresorts.com) and like both. I prefer the Shinta Mani. Recently the FCC opened and is getting good reviews. More upmarket are the Amansara (www.amanresorts.com) and The Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor. I love Amansara if you want to splurge that much else stay somewhere else and def make a reservation there for dinner. I found the rooms at Raffles very small tho enjoyed drinks there in the bar. You definitely need a driver in SR - IMO you need a guide too but that is personal choice.

I don't know what you mean by snooty w.r.to the Oriental. It is a lovely hotel with history oozing out of every pore. I am just back yesterday from staying 3 nights there and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would say tho if you are getting your river fix by staying at The Pen then skip the Oriental and stay at the Four Seasons. After 3 days of river taxis and being far removed from shops I really enjoyed our 2 nights at Emporium in the midst of the action and think you will feel the same w.r.to the Four Seasons Bkk which I adore.

I would use the 3 nights at the Sheraton Grand Skmvt to go somewhere else - Anantara sounds good. I think you will welcome a change from Bkk heat and dust and traffic. You could also consider the new Mandarin Oriental in Chiang Mai which has recently opened to rave reviews - called Dhara Devi.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:24 AM

Oriental staff is much warmer and less snooty that the Penn staff in my opinion. It's what makes it such a wonderful hotel. Many of the people have worked there for 15-30 years and take real pride in their job and treat the guests as friends. There was a bell hop there for years who used to write out sayings on the luggage tags that he thought you would like. And he loved talking about the latest book he was reading with you. A year ago I didn't see him there. When I asked about him I was told he had retired and was also told that at least 2 guests every day asked about him. Any hotel where guests get to know the guy who carries your luggage, is NOT snooty. It is the most personal hotel in the world for my money.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:38 AM

i think this moving around looks just great....yes you will need a driver and guide in siem reap...it will take all the frustration out of your visit...my hotel arranged one for me in advance...or use "P" from this board...

looks like a good trip....a few days at ananatara in chiang saen would be a nice relaxation nearer to the end of your trip or as a get away in the middle....rent a car in CR as the driving is very easy and roads are good....3 or 4 nites is perfect....the same timeframe for SR is perfect also...i did not find a lot to do around CS...the princess mother's, doi tung, was the major attraction along with the opium museum....the elephants at the hotel plus cooking school were plusses...

there is a definate attitude at the oriental which you sense when you enter...it is not necessarily a bad feeling....i disagree with gloria about the penn as i found everyone but the conceige to be very friendly and welcoming...i found the security people at the oriental who approach people as they enter, on occasion, to be a bit off putting, and we have been perfectly dressed each time on entering....they not only approached us but many others who were also not guests there....i guess i can never understand why some hotels, i.e. the oriental, raffles in SR as two examples always charge as much as 50% more than other lux hotels in the area...this i find a bit odd....maybe it is warranted, but not from what i am able to observe...i will get in trouble here again for saying this, but.....

i would stick with the sheraton grande also as i find it a great location to do the sukhumvit area...not many fodorites seem to stay there and i think that is too bad....

your river focus is a good thing for part of the trip...
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:00 AM

I would say you should have three full days in Siem Reap and you definitely need a driver.

I would definitely use the 3 nights at the Sheraton for a stay in northern thailand.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:14 AM

The Penn is not snooty- the poster above I believe always spends time at the Oriental and if you frequent a place often enought everyone will know you and give you that much more attention. You will not be thrown out of the Penn for not having the right wardrobe- apparently the same cannot be said of the Oriental based on posts above.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

hobbes:
Great websights, thanks for your valuable input. Was looking at the Pansea now a bit confused. Amanasara looks fabulous!

glorialf: What a beautiful story about the Oriental. Makes me want to try the place...Maybe.
Do you remember who you used in Siem Riep as a driver? Any recomendations?

rhkkmk:
Where did you rent a car from in CM? Where would I get a map of the area for driving around?
Where did you stay in SR?

BillT: Thanks for the input, I too am a fan of the Pen but like to try other hotels also.
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Aloha!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM

I was in Siem Reap in 1992 so things have changed a lot. At the time I was there I saw a total of 4 other tourists the entire time. I also stayed in the best hotel in town for under $20 -- and believe me it was not a bargain. I had an inch of water in my room at all time (god knew where it came from); it was filthy; stained sheets and the AC worked about an hour a day. You'll have a very different experience, I suspect.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM

My guide arranged a driver but sure even if you do not use the guide he will arrange a driver for you - he's a great guy and we really enjoyed getting to know him and his family history. His name is Ta and his email id is [email protected]. Ask him for a driver reference. If you are at all inclined to spend maga bucks Amansara is magical. In a relative sense Pansea is not a patch tho on a stand alone basis Pansea is nice.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:45 PM

my car rental was in chiang rai...it was avis which i did on their web site...they have a thai web site..do a search: avis+thailand....
in CM i have always had a driver---manop...i got him our first day in the arrivals hall...he stations himself at the airport...

i have a michelin map of thaland--its a book which i got at a local travel bookshop (andy---in cambridge in fact)..it is not detailed but gave us plenty of direction...there are not many roads up north....it was a very easy drive from CR with two right turns and one left turn and you were at the anantara in one hour more or less...

you can also buy maps in bkk at any bookshop---asia bookshop is a good one...i think avis gave us a map too...

we stayed at angkor village while in SR...it is very attractive and french run....the rooms were ordinary at best and the bed was hard as a rock...the food was only ok....there are great restaurants in SR...the pool was decent...it is the most attract/authentic looking hotel in town...gpanda is looking at victoria...have you seen it??..pansea gets high marks...we are staying at pansea luang prabang next month...