Help us with our adventure to India

Aug 2nd, 2014, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Help us with our adventure to India

Hi everyone, we have just booked 3 weeks in India beginning in early October, and would love to advice on what to see/do while we are there.

So far we are looking to go to the golden triangle, Varanasi and see the tigers in bandhavgarh national park. We would also like to see some rural villages/life outside the big cities.
Is this achievable in our time there? Is there anything else you would recommend that we should see?
Is it worth adding Mumbai or Jodhpur?

I should mention that we are fit and adventurous and don't mind an action packed trip - who knows when we will be back!!

Thanks
Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:55 AM

how do you plan to travel around? a car and driver is the best way in Rajasthan.. I have used castle and king to arrange this for me in the past... google them..

2 full days is plenty in Varanasi... fly there and back from delhi...

jodhpur is worth a couple of days, but Udaipur is worth 3 days, imo. I would skip Mumbai and concentrate on R...
Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:56 AM

what is your budget?
Aug 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi rhkkmk - we have emailed Castle and King for help after reading lots of trip reports on this forum, including yours! Still awaiting a response though.

Good point about Udaipur. I think we'll try and add 3 days there and skip Mumbai.

As for our budget - not huge! We like to do as much as possible for as little as possible, without missing out on anything that we would regret! So: basic, clean hotels/guesthouses, the occasional nice dinner and trains over flying.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 02:30 PM

look at rattan villas---forget which town
Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip!
Aug 4th, 2014, 01:43 AM

i think you should visit Rajasthan first in this rainy season and there is a most of villages are so beautiful and also you should visit Jaipur in Rajasthan witch is awesome city with places, Monuments, culture. and the you can go Madhya pradesh there you can go for a Bandhavgarh national park and also there you can go for other places. and the you should go for Delhi or Agra there you can go for a great monuments in Delhi you can see Red Fort, Laal Kila, India Gate, Humaayun Tomb and in Agra you can see the famous wonder Taaj Mahal and other amazing monuments then you should visit for a Uttarakhand, there you can go for a Nainital, Mussoorie, and other nice places. and also you should go for a Jodhpur.
Aug 5th, 2014, 02:31 AM

Hi dere
Great that you folks are planning a trip, Just my advice that do not spend much time in Rajasthan whether it is Jaipur,Udaipur,or Jodhpur, At the end of the day they are all the same old ancient Indian cities and haven't really catched up with the pace of the Modern India(no offence to anyone).Add Mumbai for your trip,Believe me I have spent a complete year there and It is definitely worth 2 days,Also why don't you guys plan on visiting the southern part of India like Kerela(it is called as Gods own country by Indians for valid reasons) then there are Nilgiri Hills in Tamil Nadu, Beaches near Chennai,Cochin.
Scenic beauty of Pondicherry(and the french culture as it was a french colony) also there is Mysore close to Bangalore which is a little heaven and there is Ooty. I am sure you guys will love it,you can first google it and read reviews about these places.And oh yes if you are fond of getting a peek in to the Indian culture then there are any famous temples in south India and the Largest of them being Tirupati Balaji.

I am an Indian and have stayed in India all my life so you can count on me for the same.Places like Rajasthan are simply overrated. Add Gujrat also in the list of Overrated states.
Also If you you guys like beaches,party,booze etc then you can consider Goa also,If time and budget allows(goa around that time will be a little expensive).

Discover India like it should be and not like travel agencies want you to do so.

Cheers
Satvik !!

--
Sent from my 'Smart Phone' ,possibly auto-corrected. May be I don’t mean it.

--
Sent from my 'Smart Phone' ,possibly auto-corrected. May be I don’t mean it.
Aug 5th, 2014, 02:42 AM

Bandhavgarh is full of tigers even you can see them in day light. you will definitely enjoy this national park. Jaipur, Udaipur are best if you want to see forts and monuments. If I talk about my personal fav. holiday destination in north india, then it is Himachal Pradesh. Visit Manali,shimla, nainital there once in you trip. Thanks
Aug 6th, 2014, 07:49 PM

We've now spent 9 weeks in northern India (two separate trips) and have visited many of the above mentioned places. We've trained, flown and hired drivers. I have yet to write up a trip report on the second trip this past Feb. and March, but you will probably want to skim through the loooong trip report I wrote after the first trip where we visited a lot of rural locales. I begin the trip report by stating how much we paid for lodging in each of the places we visited. http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ited-india.cfm

Travel in India (particularly the way you want to do it) is slow. If you truly plan to visit Bandhavgarh, take a look at adding in Mandu ( a lesser-visited place we liked in Madhya Pradesh). In MP we also really enjoyed Orchha. Favorites of ours are Varanasi (a don't miss), Jaisalmer (great fort town out in the desert, and you can take the overnight train there), Bundi (a smaller, more intimate Rajasthan city), Haridwar (holy city on the Ganges), Castle Bera (fabulous leopard safaris and a fun place to stay out in the middle of nowhere), and Fort Dhamli ( aimed at providing a taste of rural India). We flew in and out of Delhi on both trips and did our sightseeing there in smaller half day portions on our way in and out of the country; for us this was sufficient. Our trips were pretty non-stop an don the go all of the time with a variety of different types of activities.

FWIW, we visited Corbett park on our first trip, and this most recent trip we visited Chitwan National Park in Nepal. No comparison at all! Chitwan wins hands down, and we had a long sighting or a tiger there.

Hope this helps.
Aug 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Julie - I actually read your first trip resort earlier this week, it was full of great tips!
Just saw you've posted another, I'll be sure to read that too

We've just had word that Bandhavgarh won't open this year until October 15 which is too late for us, so that's definitely changed our plans! I have heard nice things about Jaisalmer, so maybe we can fit that in instead.

C&K have given us an itinerary to work with, but I'm worried it's too fast considering how slow things can move in India: 2 nights in each place, but no drives over 5 hours in one way. Too much do you think?
Aug 8th, 2014, 04:19 AM

IMO if most of your drives are five hours, this may be a bit much because realistically you'd be in the car from say 10:00 to 3:00, and then that day is shot in transit every other day. OTOH our first trip was nothing but two night stays, and we were fine. I know this pace might be too fast for some people who need lots of down time to just sit and relax and decompress in their room or around the pool; that is not us.

For certain types of journeys overnight trains make sense, and they give you a chance to interact with native Indians. I wouldn't want a steady diet of nothing but trains, but they are cheaper than flying or having a drive driver you everywhere, and they are a more authentic experience.
Aug 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM

Hey Jessie since you love adventure and the thrill about wild life,i would recommend you not to go to Bandhavgarg 3 cubs and an adult tigress already died there. If you want to make your chances of finding a tiger in a wild higher than go to tadoba, this is near Nagpur.43 tigers in this area makes the chances comparatively higher than Bandhavgarg. I know a few guys personally here who can be helpful. Cheers