Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

HELP. Questions for K.A.L. Flight to BKK

Jan 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

We are traveling to Bankok from L.A. via Korean Airlines in mid-Feb. What can we expect from the airline (already have reservations)? Is the terminal in Seoul warm enough that we don't need to bring a jacket for the overlay? Is the airline food edible. Is there any inflight Western entertainment? On the return we will have several hours in Seoul in transit. Any suggestions on passing the time? Any comments and suggestions will be welcome.
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone help with these questions?
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:01 AM

No first-hand experience, but...

1. I don't think anybody has to worry about an airport being too cold. South Korea is a developed industrialized country, and they should be able to afford heat at their brand-new Incheon Airport.

2. Airline food on KL can't be worse than those on US-based airlines like UA and NW. Whether "any" airline food is edible is up for debate, of course.

3. You will find Western entertainment. Again, South Korea is a very modern country, and KL cateres to lots of international travellers.

4. ICN is pretty far from Seoul itself, so it depends on how long your transit is whether you have time to go into the city. I have no idea what else to do at the airport.
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:22 PM

I am at the Seoul international airport (ICN) in the Asiana Business Class lounge (also star alliance gold lounge). This is the first airline club that I have been to that has computers with free internet. Good espresso, etc., should have gotten here earlier.

My flight on Saturday pulled right up to the gate and we walked the jetway into the airport. It looks like the arrivals and departures are from plane to gate. I don't see any plane to gate shuttles running around like at Narita or Bangkok or Frankfurt where you would have to go outside.

This is a very nice, modern airport with plenty of shops and restaraunts. There are two internet cafes, according to the very useful Airport Guide ( www.airport.or.kr ). So, I didn't need a coat.

I took the KAL bus from the COEX Intercontinental Hotel this morning. US$12 and one hour. Very comfortable, runs every 30 min, and arrived/left 5 min ahead of time. There is a mall under the hotel. At the other end of the mall is the Grand Intercontinental Hotel, the last KAL bus stop before the airport. The Grand is also v. close to a subway station (one stop from a baseball stadium!). Seoul, the subway, and the ICN airport are clean and modern. I am impressed.

My niece took KAL a week or so ago and enjoyed it. Have a good trip.
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM

My Toyama flight was delayed so I came back to the lounge. This lounge has showers and sleeping rooms. According to the guide, the airport has a transit hotel and there are free lockers. Also, there is baggage delivery and storage places like in Japan.
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:18 PM

In 2003, I flew KAL coach from Dallas to Bangkok. I was very satisfied with the service, food, and toilets. During the 15-hour trip, the FA checked and made sure that the toilet stayed clean. The food was better than American carriers, IMO. I enjoyed walking around the airport during the overlay. It is very clean and modern. I don't think that you will be disappointed.
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM

I flew the LAX-Seoul flight in Dec 2002 and had no problems with the temperature. Incheon is a very modern airport with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. I'm guessing that price-wise the shopping won't compare well with Bangkok, but there's enough there to keep you entertained for a few hours. The airport was very clean and is one of my favorites - much better than most US airports. I didn't have much luck with the internet access then - several terminals were down. These were free terminals in the airport, not private terminals in an airport lounge, so I can't really complain about that. Hopefully that aspect has improved in the last few years. I thought the inflight food was pretty good considering the status of airplane food these days - we were given a choice of a Korean or Western meal for dinner and breakfast. In flight entertainment was standard, with quite a few English language audio options and American movies.